Canister Filter recommendation & UV Sterlizer recommenation
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Canister Filter recommendation & UV Sterlizer recommenation

I have a Aquaclear 50 HOB filter for my 29g (24 actual gallon) tank and want to switch to a canister filter so that I can use an in line UV sterilizer.

I want to be able to switch over my Matrix as well as having space for both purigen and or carbon/phosguard/etc depending on my needs. Thats one thing I really like about the Aquaclear, you can very easily switchout different types of media according to your needs and whether or not your dosing.

What canister filter would people recommend (keep in mind this is my first canister filter) and should I put the UV sterilizer right after it or put the sterilizer on it's own pump and separate line?

Also does anyone have any experience with using UV Sterilizers?
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
suprdave
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The following is a canister filter + UV light built in one: http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-CF400U...rch_res_rtr_21
suprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

if you dont go aqua tops... eheims work well for fitting stuff into them.. you are going to get alot of answers as to what is the best
Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Kudaria
Planted Member

I was waffling between the ehemis ecco or classic and the fluval 206 actually. As for all in one UV units I doubt they are much more than clarifiers and I'd like mine to do some sterilization so that pretty much means a separate UV unit.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
suprdave
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Why do you think a UV light that is built into the cannister would only clarify as opposed to sterilize?
suprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

i loved my eccos... had them for 3 years now.. They are inexpensive, media is not bad, and they run like mad. I swear they have some of the best pumps on them for what you pay
Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Kudaria
Planted Member

Hmm this link gives a basic overview of why - http://www.maxmax.com/auvgermicidaltechnicaldata.htm.

Mostly the kill rate of ultraviolet depends on the intensity of the bulb and the microwattage per second required to kill a specific bacteria. If you have a UV bulb that only produces say 700 microwatts which would be fairly close to the output of a 5W bulb then you need to divide the wattage to kill algae which is 22,000 by that number to get the amount of seconds you would need to expose the algae to the light to kill it.

As you can see it would take a 5W UV light a bit over thirty one seconds to kill an algae cell.

The lifeguard aquatics one I'm looking at is 15W and produces 12,470 microwatts so it would only take a bit over two seconds.

The problem is its difficult to find a site that will actually put out the microwatt results of their equipment and the only sites to do so also produce commercial sewage waste sterilizers and are required to prove they meet EPA required guidelines for that usage.

BTW the 700 guess is based off that site but really alot depends on the quality of the light and the quartz sleeve around it.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Kudaria
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawdey View Post
i loved my eccos... had them for 3 years now.. They are inexpensive, media is not bad, and they run like mad. I swear they have some of the best pumps on them for what you pay
I was looking at the eccos, they are supposed to be for first time canister users. How are they for loading up with different media than they come with out of the box?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Any of the main brands of canisters are going to be good choices. It comes down to personal preference and personal experience. I have had Eheim, Fluval and Rena Filstar. All super quiet and have plenty of basket space for whatever filter media you want to add. I would stick to the more well known proven brands, decide on the size and flowrate you desire and then simply shop around, including Amazon.com. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

I've used a UV for years on my tank and wouldn't run without one. I think they keep your stock healthier and they'll polish water to a very nice clarity. You have to size them according to your flow rate and what you want to accomplish - algae control, bacteria control, etc. I'm currently using a Classic Series Aqua UV. It's a much more well made unit than the popular Turbo Twist by Coralife. A lot of people are going to tell you they're a waste of money and you don't need them but most, not all, of those people have never used one. Here's a link for Aqua UV with a lot of good info.

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/produ...assic-aquarium
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Kudaria
Planted Member

Holy cow, 30,000 microwatts per cm2 is amazingly impressive for a 8w UV. I'll defiantly have to look into this brand.

Thank you
Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
A lot of people are going to tell you they're a waste of money and you don't need them but most, not all, of those people have never used one. Here's a link for Aqua UV with a lot of good info.

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/produ...assic-aquarium
haha shoulda posted yesterday but actually busy at work earning a living then family biz untill lights out.

+1! on this opinion. 8w and 15w units I own 5 of these and need more (imo) the vendor claimed performance is valid and they work.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote