What to do with a 125 gallon tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
trgiboney
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What to do with a 125 gallon tank

I have a chance to get a three month old Marineland 125 Gallon Long for a steel and it has two corner overflows and drilled for a sump. Iím trying to decide if I want to do a planted tank or something else with it. My experience is with the planted tropical tanks but always wanted to do a Chilid or Reef tank.
My question is does anyone have a planted tank with a sump or experience configuring a tank like this for canister filters. I was thinking that if I went with a planted tank and could not use a sump I may go with two canister filters if I could figure out how to set them up.
trgiboney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I purchased a drilled 125g for a planted tank. I plan on using a sump. For a tank that size, that is already drilled, the benefits of a sump outweigh the cons, to me.

If you want to go with canister(s), you can get bulkheads that seal the drilled sections, then hide the canister tubes in the overflow.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a similar setup with a sump. You can also go with 2 canisters, or even a single big canister like an FX5. Make sure that host lengths are identical if you go with a single canister setup, to get even pressure/flow.

If you do a chiclid tank, sump should be a no brainer. If you go with planted and injected Co2, Co2 escape is a small issue to deal with.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
trgiboney
Algae Grower

Scapegoat and nvladik
Thanks for the replies can you tell me what type of media you will be using in your sumps.
If I go with planted I will be using a CERG reactor for CO2, I already have one on my 75 and love it: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110100
I have never seen a sump on a freshwater tank so Iím starting to do some research on how itís done. Defiantly like the idea of not having heaters or down tubes in the tank that I have to hide only corner overflows to plant around.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

I havent planned out the sump quite yet... still debating on buying a 37g to convert, or acrylic to build.

Though, I'm probably doing something similar to this: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...8&postcount=69

where it is primarily mechanical w/ an area in the center for additional fish, or shrimp, snails, and maybe even emerged plants to allow their roots to filter the water.

with a planted tank, I don't see a huge need for a bacterial filtration "department" when you've got a ton of surface area with bacteria growing on them in the form of the plants themselves.

Though, to be fair, I do use canisters on my smaller tanks, and may set one up with stuffing for really getting the water crystal clear.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My sump is full of bio balls. with filter foam on top to catch all the crap. Overflow is also full of bio-balls for additional bio filtration. Sump has 300W heater and Mag-drive 12. Pretty straight forward setup.

Here's last years' thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...017&highlight=
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

you give it to me
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
trgiboney
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawdey View Post
you give it to me
If I did the wife would kill me. For the first time in the many years that I have had smaller planted tanks she is interested and excited.

She has been trolling the forums collecting pics and making a plant list
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgiboney View Post
If I did the wife would kill me. For the first time in the many years that I have had smaller planted tanks she is interested and excited.

She has been trolling the forums collecting pics and making a plant list
my wife is super excited about the 125 i'm putting together as well. not enough to look stuff up, but enough that she's showing other people.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
trgiboney
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
my wife is super excited about the 125 i'm putting together as well. not enough to look stuff up, but enough that she's showing other people.
I'm excited that she is involved. Iím just waiting for the odd decoration request like a castle or something and then I donít know what I will do
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm excited that she is involved. Iím just waiting for the odd decoration request like a castle or something and then I donít know what I will do
My wife was excited, requested a castle, a pirate ship and a no fishing sign. That was the end of her involvement.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
My wife was excited, requested a castle, a pirate ship and a no fishing sign. That was the end of her involvement.
i'm fortunate enough to have a wife that knows that the tank is, effectively, mine. since it is my hobby. if she were to mention anything ridiculous like that it would be in jest.

It also helps that I have this thing planned out as far as stocking is concerned. Most of the hardware is either planned out, or researched and being considered.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Since you haven't made up your mind about stocking that baby, a 125 gal tank would make a superb, dramatic display tank for discus, with or without the use of a sump !
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
trgiboney
Algae Grower

discuspaul

Never thought about discus may need to do some research. Also I dont see them in my lfs but then again I don's see chilids but they have told me the can order them for me.

I have looked at sites that I can order chilids but never seen on for discus can you please send me a message if you have sites that you order them from.

I will look at your post to see what you have and your tanks if pics are posted.

Do you have problems with discus and plants.

My wife is stearing me toward angels
Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
discuspaul

Never thought about discus may need to do some research. Also I dont see them in my lfs but then again I don's see chilids but they have told me the can order them for me.

I have looked at sites that I can order chilids but never seen on for discus can you please send me a message if you have sites that you order them from.

I will look at your post to see what you have and your tanks if pics are posted.

Do you have problems with discus and plants.

My wife is stearing me toward angels

Yes, if you consider keeping a discus tank, you'll want to do a good deal of research ahead of time to ensure you succeed.

I suggest you go to the simplydiscus.com forum, and read the Stickies in the 'Discus Basics for Beginners' section. My illustrated guide to getting started with discus is located there. It is also located here on this forum as well - click on the first sticky in the 'FISH' section and you'll find it.

50% of succeeding with discus is getting good quality stock of a decent size (more mature) fish to begin with, and only from a well-known, experienced and reputable supplier of quality fish.

There are several top-of-the-line suppliers in the U.S. - all of them sponsors in the simplydiscus.com forum - 'Sponsors' section. Some of the best are Kenny's Discus in Daly City, Ca.; Hans' Discus in Baltimore; Central Ohio Discus, (Mike Beals) near Columbus, and Chicago Discus (Josie) in Chicago. They all supply & air ship high quality discus, and guarantee live delivery.

Discus require somewhat more care & attention than most other freshwater tropical fish, but are not difficult to keep successfully if you follow a few simple 'rules'.

I've been keeping them for years and love their beauty, grace, and vivid colors and patterns. Here's a few sets of pics of my planted discus tank set-ups over the past couple of years, for you to have a gander at:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...3RedSnakeSkins
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...spaul/Sept2011
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...aul/lolliblues

Should you decide to consider keeping discus, I'd be happy to guide you through it, step by step - so don't hesitate to contact me at any time.

All the best to you, no matter what you decide.
Regards,
Paul
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote