My RES Layed eggs :)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

My RES Layed eggs :)

I'm so excited my RES laid eggs a couple days ago. I'm really hoping they're fertile and I've got them incubating at the moment. Temperatures are varying between 83.4, and 84.9 fahrenheit, and humidity is at 85%. They were laied on Feb 3. I'm expecting the m to hatch in about 2 months.

There were 9 eggs total

The improvised incubator is a 5 gallon aquarium filled with about 2 inches of water, and a 50 watt aquarium heater. The eggs are nestled in perlite, in a plastic deli container with a section of the lid cut open. The deli container is just floating in the water. I have a digital thermometer with a probe tucked in with the eggs, a glass aquarium thermometer in the water, and a terrarium thermometer and hygrometer sitting on top of the deli container. There's a piece of plexi covering the whole set-up to keep the humidity in.

The turtles themselves are kept in a 90 gallon aquarium that about 1/3 of it has been set aside for basking/egg laying. This picture was just after I set it up. It didn't stay that pretty very long. I did have a massive trickle filter on the tank, but I've since replaced that with a fluval 404.

Here are some if the turtles, I didn't have the mother of the eggs yet when this pic was taken. The Dark one at the bottom is the father. The one just above and to the right was given to a friend. The tiny one at the top is a mississippi map, and the other two are two more RES females.

And here are some of the turtle friends living in the tank with them.

I'll keep posting updates about the eggs
kal_daka87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hope you plan on keeping them. Not to be a negative nancy, but RES are an invasive species in most of NA and out compete native turtles and decline their population because their are so many of them and 90% of people that buy a turtle, which is usually a RES because they're cheap, and then let it go when it gets too big and too much time to take care of. There are turtle rescues all over NA filled to the brim with RES's that people didn't want, bringing more in on purpose is sort of looked down upon by turtle keepers because there is such a problem with them.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

No I don't plan on keeping them. I plan on selling them to the owner of the pet store I work at. Also I know all about the problems of invasive species as I went to school for field ecology and worked for a couple of years with the MNR.

I also know that RES are technically a tropical species, and altho there's been sightings as far north as Tobermory, there is slim to no possibility of them surviving a winter in the wild up here. Let alone surviving healthy enough to breed.

Also being as how they will end up being sold in the pet store I work at, I know they will go to responsible owners. The manager and I are both avid turtle keepers, and don't sell the turtles to "anyone."

As far as Rescues go I have re-homed my fair share. (20+ turtles) And my 5 are all recues as well. So I am well aware of the problem. That being said, there is a market for baby RES, and with increased restrictions on imported aquatic species, they are no longer (legally) being brought into Canada. I'm hoping to fill a economic niche for the pet industry. I do not plan on actively breeding, but nor will I prevent it from happening or kill any eggs/babies that survive.

I know I'm going to get flak for this but it is my decision, and one I have done much research on. Please respect that and don't lecture. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice turtles! Hope the eggs hatch! Remember to post the pics of the babies.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Ok, glad you're going to make sure they go to good homes and wasn't trying to lecture, just seen this so much on turtle times forums and such or see RES's for free all the time online because they got 8" in a 20gal tank.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Ok, glad you're going to make sure they go to good homes and wasn't trying to lecture, just seen this so much on turtle times forums and such or see RES's for free all the time online because they got 8" in a 20gal tank.
I know you weren't trying to lecture You've obviously got the turtles best interests in mind. I went on my spiel so that other's don't lecture. Thank you for caring.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

Candled the eggs last night and i've been able to confirm they're fertile. That being said, it'll be about another month to month and a half before they hatch.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

That's truly awesome! Congrats!
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

All but 2 of the eggs have turned out to be duds. Of the remaining two I'm only positive one is developing properly. The other egg has veins in it, but so far no embryo, so I have my doubts. Here's a couple pics of the well developed one tho.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
binbin9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

nice I've never seen anyone breed these
binbin9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
sumer
No Feeling is final

PTrader: (23/96%)

What happened to them ?
Any updates ?
sumer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

Unfortunately none of the eggs made it. The second egg that had veins just never developed an embryo, and the well developed one ended up collapsing about a month before it was scheduled to hatch. Considering its the first clutch my turtle laid, its not really surprising none made it. Great learning experience though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.