What brand of HOB Filter you use? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #31
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Ive got an emperor 400 and it is very loud. Not sure if I got a bad apple. To marinelands credit they are sending me out parts to try and fix the problem no questions asked
zackariah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #32
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have both Aquaclear and Fluval C series. Both are really good.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm an aqua clear junky. They just seem like versatile filters that can take some abuse so I don't bother switching brands. When I get back into big tanks (meaning once I move from an apt) I'm going back to Fluval canisters.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #34
evilhorde
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have aqueon quietflow filters on all my tanks that have filters.
They run quietly, at least quiet for me. the motor on these filters is on the inside of the aquarium so I don't hear the pump running at all but I suspect the fish may hear something. I only hear the waterfall. And that does get noisy when the water level starts getting 5" below the tank rim. Right now the water level is actually a full inch below the motor and it is still flowing full speed. Another good feature: the impeller is actually in the tank, so when the power goes out and comes back on again, the filter starts up with no gurgling/ struggling or priming needed. On the models that use large filters you can use a green potscrubber in their place.
One last feature that the Aqueon has over some of the other filters I have used is that on other HOB's in which the motor is external of the aquarium I have seen leaks coming from between the HOB box and the motor. On the aqueon the HOB box is one piece with no holes to leak.
evilhorde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #35
Wayne Dwops
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have now tried Penguin, Aqueon, and Aquaclear. My vote goes to Aquaclear 100000000000%. It is quiet and powerful but with adjustable flow and the huge media basket that you can put anything in is just the best.
Wayne Dwops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #36
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have Tetra, Aqueon and Aquaclear. I can't say much for the Tetra, because it came used with a tank (both tank and filter looked brand new) but the pump has never worked on it. I have had my Aqueon running on my 25 gallon for almost 3 years, no problem. I use their standard media, but sometimes rinse and reuse a cartridge. I HATED my Aquaclear. It was on a 16 gallon bowfront. The waterfall made a lot of noise if the water level dropped at all. It would also sometimes make a horrible whining noise. I have no idea what caused it, but I would have to go mess with it to get the noise to go away. I also had the problem other people have had with it not wanting to restart after having the power off. I probably won't be buying another one.
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
guitarsrmine
Algae Grower

Default Re;

On my 2-55 gallon aquariums, Ive been using Aqua Tech(from Wally World) for close to 9 years, and they are still going strong.....now, the one on my Angelfish tank had decreased out-flow, so I replaced it a few days ago with a new Aqua Tech.....they are silent, easy to maintain, and durable!!! Plus, the replacement cartrides I get from a LFS a few miles from my hometown, and I get them SUPER cheap......I can get a box of 10 from the LFS for the same price as I could get 5 from Wally World.....I was looking at the Whisper filter from WW,but ti was a few bucks more, and the replacement cartridges were WAY more.....Ive been extremely happy with the Aqua Tech filters......
guitarsrmine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

+1 on Aqua tech... very under rated (only used 5-15 & 20-30 though)

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.