How should I mix these substrates?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
fred1163
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question

How should I mix these substrates?

I'm coming back into the hobby after a 14 year absence, so please bear with me.

I'm going to be setting up a 90 gallon low tech planted tank. I have an Eheim 2228 canister filter rated at 277 gph and four GE 32W T8 6500K bulbs which will sit directly on the glass top, 21-23" () from the substrate.

Planning on starting with a lot of different Crypts, Java Fern on driftwood, Vallisneria, Hygro, Dwarwf Sag, and maybe a few Tropica Swords.

Eventually would like to have a couple Angelfish, 20 or so Cardinal Tetras, and some Corys. Maybe also a few Blue Rams.

I've purchased 4 15.4 lb bags of Flourite black, 1 15 lb bag of Flourite black sand, and a 50 lb bag of Black Beauty 20/40 grit blasting media.

My main question (of many) is do I layer these different substrates, and if so, what goes where?.... or just mix 'em all up?

The last time I had this tank set up was in 1999, and that was with the Eheim combined with a tank-wide undergravel filter driven by a couple powerheads. The plants never did too well in those days...

Secondary question...will I need more filtration and/or water circulation?
Thanks for reading, and special thanks in advance to all who respond with advice!
fred1163 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (440/100%)

Sand will eventually settle to the bottom no matter what you do. Flourite will end up on top.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yes, more filtration and more water movement.
Aim for about 10 times the tank volume of turnover per hour. You won't really get that, of course, since most manufacturers make their claims based on no media or clean, new media in the filter.
You could add another of the same filter, then add a couple of small Koralia style power heads, aimed at whatever trouble spots show up.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
fred1163
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Sand will eventually settle to the bottom no matter what you do. Flourite will end up on top.
Was hoping the black beauty would stay on top . I might as well just mix them all together then when I set up the tank. (?)

Is this a decent mix that will grow plants without the high tech lighting, CO2, etc.? Which if any should I leave out?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
fred1163
Algae Grower

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Yes, more filtration and more water movement.
Aim for about 10 times the tank volume of turnover per hour. You won't really get that, of course, since most manufacturers make their claims based on no media or clean, new media in the filter.
You could add another of the same filter, then add a couple of small Koralia style power heads, aimed at whatever trouble spots show up.
Thanks, Diana. Adding another filter - Eheim 2028, which will put me at a total of 554 gph filtration (according to mfr). Also have two powerheads that are each rated at 170 gph.

Is this combo of filters and powerheads (894 gph) in the ballpark of what I need to start with? Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1163 View Post
Was hoping the black beauty would stay on top . I might as well just mix them all together then when I set up the tank. (?)

Is this a decent mix that will grow plants without the high tech lighting, CO2, etc.? Which if any should I leave out?
You can put the sand on top if you want, but it will eventually settle. If you want to mix them first, that is fine too.

The mixture is fine and should grow many plants as long as you are careful with your selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1163 View Post
Is this combo of filters and powerheads (894 gph) in the ballpark of what I need to start with? Thanks again!
It sounds good to me.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
fred1163
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
You can put the sand on top if you want, but it will eventually settle. If you want to mix them first, that is fine too.

The mixture is fine and should grow many plants as long as you are careful with your selection.

It sounds good to me.
Thanks, Anthony.

Tags
substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.