i'm looking for low light but is this too low?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
jamntoast
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

i'm looking for low light but is this too low?

i'm aiming for a low light, low tech, no fuss system. no co2 injection, soil substrate, the tank is a 90g 48W-18L-24H. the plants i have in it are gigantae val, amazon sword, rubin sword, crypt wendtii, and some assorted anubias. and a tiger lotus that i let grow up to the water surface.
now the lights, the light i have on it is just a single 48' 5w t5ho by sunblaster. so by watts per gallon i'm under 1 watt per gallon. i'm totally lost trying to educate myself on par values so i dont have much understanding of that. what are peoples thoughts, i'm guessing i will need to add another light, but can i get by with just the one? most of my plants are pretty developed, like the val, the lotus and the amazon swords, so i don't want to put too much light on them at the top of the tank and have a big algae bloom at the surface while i'm trying to get some light down to the crypts etc. at the substrate level.
jamntoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
discuspaul
Wannabe Guru

I'm not familiar with sunblaster, but I can't imagine a 48" T5 HO light fixture with only a 5 watt bulb - must be 50 something watts. If so, that is still low light for the size of your tank, but why don't you try it out for a while and see how the plants make out, before considering adding another bulb.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
jamntoast
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
I'm not familiar with sunblaster, but I can't imagine a 48" T5 HO light fixture with only a 5 watt bulb - must be 50 something watts. If so, that is still low light for the size of your tank, but why don't you try it out for a while and see how the plants make out, before considering adding another bulb.
ha whoops i meant 54w, but yea thats the plan so far i was just wondering if anyone had some experience to lend me
Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

first, forget watts per gallon. thems the old rules!

your t5ho, according to: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368, puts you in the medium light range. Though, you might not get the best coverage from a single bulb.

that is if the bulb is right on the tank itself. Seeing as how you'll probably have it raised a couple inches, it looks like you might be on the high end of low light.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

If you can make a simple hood for it, http://www.ahsupply.com/54watt.htm will give you good lighting, suspended about 4-6 inches above the top of the tank. By having it above the top of the tank, it should also cover the whole substrate fairly well. The Sunblaster light probably doesn't have nearly as good a reflector, so it may not do as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #6
jamntoast
Planted Member

Sweet, thanks for the tips. It sounds like I'm exactly where I want to be but I might add a reflector just for the extra bit.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

If you don't have a reflector you are getting from half to a third as much light as you should from a single T5HO bulb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.