First Time Aquascape, First Time Post [2/8/2014]
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

First Time Aquascape, First Time Post [2/8/2014]

Hiya! My name is Stef, and this is my first time posting, and I'm posting a first time aquascape attempt.

You might not know me, but I'm a bit familiar with this site, as I live with Darkcobra, and follow some of y'alls aqua adventures. He's more into the chemical side of the planted tanks, and helps me to actually be able to see into the tanks. I'm all about the fishies.

Anyway, here's my first attempt on a 10 gallon guppy fry grow out tank. I did not foresee the floating nature of the woods, and after much experimenting (and hissy fits) and help of my tackle box and medicine cabinet, I got the @%#*@#* stuff to sink until it gets waterlogged and sinks on its own. There are rocks rubberbanded to the driftwood, along with an assortment of lead free sinkers and spiderwire fishing line.

The only future changes I would make are substituting the wisteria on the manzanita branch with petite anubias.

I call it "Moonlight Garden". Viewed from underneath the gravel-"Moonlight Hell."

Stef*

Last edited by Art by Stef*; 02-08-2014 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: Updates
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: First Time Aquascape, First Time Post

That's awesome!

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post

You might not know me, but I'm a bit familiar with this site, as I live with Darkcobra, and follow some of y'alls aqua adventures.
Sorry to hear that j/k

It looks really good for your first time. Can't wait to see it in a couple months once its all grown in.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
Icegoalie32
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Lucky Guppies. Interesting set up.
Icegoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank Yas!
I'll add photos as time progresses. I just hope the manzanita arch holds. It's under tension with double spiderwire fishing line, bent like a bow, and if she decides to blow with a mighty twang, I'm afraid it might take out aquarium walls and guppies.
UDGags: I accept sympathy cards and fruit baskets
-Stef*
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

that looks awesome, what kind of plant is that that you tied to the branch?
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The arch contains Bacopa- Caroliniana(?). The other "tree" is some form of Ludwigia. I am looking for a small leafy type slow grower to replace the wisteria on the other, like petite anubias. The wisteria is hard to shape in a 10 gallon, and the leaves get too big and obnoxious, but the "florette" tops work until I get it together.
When Autumn comes around again, might do the trees up with red/orange/yellow/pink plant species.
I noticed something kinda different. The fish tend to follow the slate walkway in a straight line, under the arch, and sometimes in pairs. They look like they are attending a wedding or event. You can sorta see it in the photo, although they are only fry. I thought it was a coincidence at first, but they seem compelled to do it.
-Stef*
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #8
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's an update on my 10 gallon-guppy-fry-grow-out-scape.

I made a few changes: The wisteria on the right "tree" HAD to go (I knew that-it takes over).
Used the bacopa, but feel it is too minimal, still waiting for petite anubias. Or might just remove that tree as the surrounding plants grow.
Added a windelov (because "luv" is in it), and some Valentine eyesores. The miniature roses are real, and actually blooming outside right now.

As the fry turn to juvies, they will go in another tank. Guppies really don't need much encouraging in the LOVE department.

-Stef*
Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Is this alice in wonderland? :P
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Wow, I really like the original composition! Great theme too with the guppies and all.

I agree with you that the anubias petite will be a great sub. Maybe look at nymphoides sp "Taiwan" to replace the 'tree' on the right. It has the light green coloration and is more top heavy when it fills in.

Not a fan of the hearts, but love the crystal and the over-sized full moon!

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The hearts are a temporary novelty for Valentines.

puopg: Don't make me pull out a white rabbit and perch it on the driftwood; I was saving it for Easter

Thank you for the suggestion, bluestems, I'll have to look into it.
I'm only familiar with some species of aquatic plants, and want something more shape-able like topiary, and a red version would be ideal. Learning more every day

The crystal is natural, and the miniature roses last as long under water as any cut flower in a vase-or those "Aquatic" plants sold at some larger chain pet stores.
Not all cut flowers can be put in a tank with fish, some can be toxic or contain pesticides.

The Moon is a removable decal and glows in the dark, so some tree and fish silhouettes are visible for an hour after lights-out.

Maybe for Mardi Gras I should hang some beads off the trees and throw in an empty booze bottle? Hmmm....
-Stef*
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
The Moon is a removable decal and glows in the dark, so some tree and fish silhouettes are visible for an hour after lights-out.
That it's glow in the dark makes it even better! Now that I've seen it again, I liking the hearts more. Adds a little kitsch.

It's your tank, so no need to defend what you like anyways. I was tempted to add a Moai to mine.

I see now where you're going with the topiary idea. Have you looked at mosses, eg weeping moss?

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Last edited by bluestems; 02-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: op
bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
AlanLe
Gurus Master

I notice you have 2 roses in the tank...
AlanLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bluestems: Never had much luck in getting mosses to grow. They tend to disintegrate or slowly disappear. I have a small island (in another tank-another experiment-semi botched attempt) with Christmas Moss slowly covering the base, but it's taking its good ol' time growing/spreading.

But maybe I'll try incorporating some (moss) with the existing "leaves". It might look like Spanish moss for a bit, take over, or disintegrate but any way I think it would look ok. Maybe I should use a "branchier" manzanita base so it looks more like a tree than a stick?

If I don't find the petite anubias reasonable, might try dwarf baby tears. I tried to grow that out before, but it came wrapped in some fiberglass-like crap and although I tried to pick it off, a lot of it was floating around like shredded wheat. Afraid a fish would eat it or something. Also hard plugging those sprouts in the substrate, and they were everywhere but where I wanted them. I could tie them to the branch, though. Can't be any harder than fly-tying.

I think an Easter Island tank would be interesting, especially adding fish that have Moai looking faces
-Stef*
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLe View Post
I notice you have 2 roses in the tank...
The bush didn't have a full dozen