Kribs vs. Apistos vs. Angels
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Tank Man
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Kribs vs. Apistos vs. Angels

I am starting up a 55 gallon tank and I am looking for a good centerpiece fish. My water is hard and has high pH. I am wondering which of these three would be best. Right now I am leaning towards angels since they have been in the hobby the longest and I am hoping all the tank breeding would have made them more tolerant of hard water.

I am trying to stay away from livebearers, but besides that any and all suggestions/opinions are more than welcome.

Edit: pH 7.4

Last edited by Tank Man; 02-05-2013 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: pH
Tank Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

when you say high Ph, how high are we talking ?

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Tank Man
Algae Grower

Sorry about that, it is spot on at 7.4 with little fluctuation due to the hardness.
Tank Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
bud29
Planted Member

PTrader: (31/100%)

Angelfish would be fine in that, so would rams. I know there are some apistos that really prefer softer water, some that are OK with harder.

^Click banner to view group!

The few. The proud. The shrimpkeepers
RAOK Club Member #82

"Adding aquarium salt to improve slime coat is like pouring lemon juice in your eye to make it water."
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i would go with both a pair or trio of angels and a pair of rams. both will fit fine in a 55 rams tend to stay twards the bottom of the tank angels more mid to upper part. and you can go with bolivian or german blue rams, gold and powder blue are the newer types and tend to be more picky
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

breeding pair of angels and Bolivian Rams.... Go together great! BR are much hardier than GBR and they can hold their own with the Angels. I think in truth, my large angels are afraid of my BRs
Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Man View Post
I am starting up a 55 gallon tank and I am looking for a good centerpiece fish. My water is hard and has high pH. I am wondering which of these three would be best. Right now I am leaning towards angels since they have been in the hobby the longest and I am hoping all the tank breeding would have made them more tolerant of hard water.

I am trying to stay away from livebearers, but besides that any and all suggestions/opinions are more than welcome.

Edit: pH 7.4
Your water is not that hard. most tank bred fish will be fine in that water. its only if you get wild caught that you have to think about PH and even then fish adjust they just might not breed.

A breeding angle pair would be good in a 55 gal with a school of tetras and some cory cats. That would be a nice tank.

I love apistos they are my new thing. I keep a few in an 80gal tank that has lots of ground cover. Ground cover is key to keeping these little guys. They like the tank bottom to be full or plants and leaves. with rocks and wood. I might turn my 20 gal long into a breeding tank soon. These fish are always low in the tank they stay near the bottom and hide. They do not make good centerpiece fish. They are so pretty but not out enough.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Kribs all the way. I can't say much about the apistos since I've never had any, but angels are BORING. The kribs are way more fun as entertainment as well as just eye candy.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I like rams myself, but PB Zebra angels are awesome.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
scotty b
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i would go with a pair of gbr or electric blue rams ,. i have 2 pairs of gbr in my 55 and they are great and personable ,. i plan on getting rid of a few angels i have as they are boring
scotty b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #11
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

I say start with Bolivians still .... everyone promotes GBRs soooo much, BR are vastly underrated IMO are the Angelfish of rams (even though they are not a ram, they are apart of the geo family). They have awesome personalities and are very social. More so than GBRs
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #12
kubalik
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)

I'd say Kribs also, they are very hardy fish, they are ok with acidic or alkaline water and they are very interesting to watch , as most of the cichlids are. If you just setting up the tank now I would not recommend GBRs , they are too delicate , they need established tank with good and stable water parameters.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #13
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Any of those would work with your water. Angels and Kribs would have the highest tolerance while the apisto would be the most sensative. Its all personal preference TBH. Of those you mention i like Angels. Hardy, graceful, and attractive. Kribs can be in the background and not always visible, but Angels are always front and center. They have great personality as well. You said you wanted "Centerpiece" fish. To me that means something that you will notice right away when you look at the tank, not a fish you need to search for (kribs and apistos). Don't misunderstand, Apistos and Kribs are both great fish and very attractive, just not something i think of when lookng for "Centerpiece" fish. This is my experience and opinion with 30+ years in the hobby.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #14
LB79
Wannabe Guru

A breeding pair of kribs (and they WILL breed, even in that water), would be very cool. Kribs are so showy in their breeding behaviors that they just sorta outshine angels, rams, or apistos (all of which I've kept and bred). If you want a challenge, however, go for breeding Apistogramma aggassizi.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
Sara3502
Algae Grower

I have a female kribensis, and she is a spunky, beautiful fish. The only thing with kribs is they tend to stay towards the bottom of the tank.
Sara3502 is offline   Reply With Quote