Thoughts on Aqueon internal filter?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
suprdave
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thoughts on Aqueon internal filter?

Looking to get something that might be a bit quieter than the one I have now (Aqueon hang-on-back filter). Does anyone have any experience with these? http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-40-Gall...nternal+filter
suprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

dont do an internal. They are unsightly. If you want to move up from a HOB, then go to a canister
Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
suprdave
Algae Grower

Thanks!

Outside of the unsightlyness, do you have any experience with the actual performance?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've used several of the smallest versions of this for my 2.5-10g tanks.

Quieter than an HOB filter by far, they do tend to take up quite a bit of space in the tank. "Unsightly" is subjective, and dependent on your scaping. The dark color blends well with a black painted tank back and I found it pretty easy to obscure mine with a combination of driftwood and plants. I also liked the flexibility offered by the multiple rotation options on the outlet head. Keep in mind the actual dimensions of the unit as well--it can look deceptively slim in photos, but they actually take up quite a bit of space in the tank.

However, the one problem I had is that the filters--at least on the small versions--are pretty much impossible to rinse out well as the actual media is surrounded by non-flexing plastic making it impossible to squeeze out any of the debris. I still use mine--but have replaced their filter catridges with custom cut blocks of foam that I can clean without losing beneficial bacteria.

Last edited by Knotyoureality; 02-05-2013 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: glarble
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post

However, the one problem I had is that the filters--at least on the small versions--are pretty much impossible to rinse out well as the actual media is surrounded by non-flexing plastic making it impossible to squeeze out any of the debris. I still use mine--but have replaced their filter catridges with custom cut blocks of foam that I can clean without losing beneficial bacteria.
knot hit it on the head here. Plus, as far as filtration, the amount of biological filtration is severely limited in these filters
Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
suprdave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
I still use mine--but have replaced their filter catridges with custom cut blocks of foam that I can clean without losing beneficial bacteria.

Thank you! Excellent information. Would you mind sharing a link to the foam you have found works best? Do you just push the foam into the plastic, or are you not using the plastic housing at all for it?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have one and what I did with the diy filter media as well.

The "cartridges" can be opened and the foam and carbon removed. I use filter floss from the LFS (They look like pillow stuffing)
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I honestly couldn't tell you what foam I'm using--it's white, has a large pore size, is very stiff--and was on clearance at the LFS.

Application is dead easy and I wouldnt' hesitate to use any filter media that can be cut to size--whether it's from a single block or made by first layering thinner pads to get the needed bulk.

Remove the filter cartridges entirely, cut a rectangle of foam of approximately the same size (a smidge larger will help ensure a good fit), trim the long front edges on one side to accomodate the curved chamber, slide it into the case, reassamble and go.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

any sort of foam will work.... The only reason I say it is 'unsightly' is as i progressed in fish keeping, it became apparent that I wanted to maximize space in the tank for..... well. the fish... I wanted to create a natural looking environment