Ken's fish food
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Kory
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Ken's fish food

I was considering on ordering and was looking through the numerous options and I was wondering what others who have fed Kens would recomend. I will have pygmy cories, chili rasboras, oto's and some German Blue Rams or bolivian rams. I was thinking about ordering maybe 4 items so what would you recomend as a starter sampler pack for the above fish.

Kory
Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kory View Post
I was considering on ordering and was looking through the numerous options and I was wondering what others who have fed Kens would recomend. I will have pygmy cories, chili rasboras, oto's and some German Blue Rams or bolivian rams. I was thinking about ordering maybe 4 items so what would you recomend as a starter sampler pack for the above fish.

Kory
Its good stuff... also check out spectrum pellets, works well for rams and corries... pluys it will be fun watching the chilis dart around picking them off as they fall
Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
VisionQuest28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Ken's has a great selection of food. The only real down side i see is that most things you get from there comes in a HUGE amount. Most things are 1/2 lb minimum. Doesnt sound like much, but 1/2 lb of flakes for instance is a bag the size of a normal piece of paper, but atleast an inch thick, if not more. Realistically, 4 different kinds of food would be 10 lifetimes worth of food for most hobbyists.

A few years back I was in the same boat as you, I wanted to try some of the foods but knew it was WAY more than i could use. So I started selling "samples" here on the forum and other places. That way i could have a selection and offer other members a more reasonable and useable amount. It was very popular and i did well with it. I stopped and another member started doing it, but slightly different. Its been awhile since ive seen any posts from them, not sure if they're still at it or not.

But, anyway, if you wanted to order something anyway, you could wrap up most and freeze it, it will last much longer that way. Or split an order with a friends or whatever. My top 2 recommendations would be decapped brine shrimp eggs and the appropriate sized Golden Pearls. Never met a fish yet that wouldnt devour those, as quick as they could get them in their mouths (unless they were just too big to be bothered by such small offerings).

My next choice might be the meat wafer with spurlina. The more aggressive eaters would attack it, causing a little cloud of particles to spread out and the more shy fish would get them. If you want to see all the fish in your tank, more or less in one place, this will do it. And they seemed to stay stable in the water for quite some time. And if one wafer was too much you can always break an appropriate sized piece off to feed.

After that, I dont know, there are a ton of different choices. I was always a fan of earthworm based foods, just cuz I know they're super nutritious for fish. But again, there are a ton of good choices...
VisionQuest28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Kory
Algae Grower

Talking

I know that it would be more than I could most likely ever use, but thought that I could break up into smaller packeges and use to trade for other things I want plants, shrimp, ect. There is also a local group doing a group buy so right now I could get a good deal because shipping would be free. I just wanted recomendations so that I didn't end up with a life time supply something that I woudn't use.

Kory
Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
C Campbell
Planted Member

PTrader: (29/100%)

Do you have any option for breaking down the fish food in smaller packs once you receive it? I have Ken's Beef Heart and Shrimp Sticks, I just put what I will need for a month or 2 in small containers and keep the rest in the freezer. Seems to stay pretty fresh as the fish munch the hell out of it as soon as it hits the water. I do keep disiccant packets in the large bag that holds all of my dry foods in the freezer and it helps to pull out any moisture which may condense in the bag when I remove it from the freezer to refill the containers. I great option if you had it would be to vacuum seal in small pouches.

-Cory
C Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Kory
Algae Grower

what size Golden pearls would ya'll recomend for the chili's and pygmy corys

Kory
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
VisionQuest28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

200-300 is what i would go with, or maybe the 300-500. Its def small, and you could probably go even bigger still, but that small size has worked well for me for a large variety of fish. And its small enough that you can feed alot of different fry with it too if happen to get any
Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Kory
Algae Grower

Is it the bigger the number the smaller the size of the food?

Kory
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
VisionQuest28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

haha, nope. 200-300 is smaller than the 300-500. Its measured in microns. If im not mistaken 1 micron is 1/1000th of a millimeter.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Kory
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of the help.

Kory
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
GnoixuoS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I've tried all the golden pearls and 300-500 seems to be the right size for rasboras. 200-300 is just a bit too small. I also like the meat and spirulina wafers.
GnoixuoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #12
VisionQuest28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnoixuoS View Post
I've tried all the golden pearls and 300-500 seems to be the right size for rasboras. 200-300 is just a bit too small. I also like the meat and spirulina wafers.
I disagree. Ive fed that size to shell dwelling multies, neons, CPD's, other danios, rasboras, and platies. All did fine with the smaller size. But i guess im splitting hairs here...there really isnt much difference between the 200-300 and the 300-500.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #13
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i get one of his flake foods dont member the name right off the top of my head and also his veggie sticks with calcium for bottom feeders and shrimp, i also have some spirolina waffers they all seem to like
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #14
GnoixuoS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest28 View Post
I disagree. Ive fed that size to shell dwelling multies, neons, CPD's, other danios, rasboras, and platies. All did fine with the smaller size. But i guess im splitting hairs here...there really isnt much difference between the 200-300 and the 300-500.
I agree, there isn't much difference. Anything smaller than 100 microns is just powder. My multies will only take flakes, but they aren't breeding for me.
GnoixuoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Hey! I've heard a lot of people talk about kens fish food, even got a sample of the veggie sticks from a member. My plecos, cories and guppies devoured them!
I haven gone to the site, anyone have a link?
Sorry to hijack, but I don't feel it's necessary to start up another thread when there's one already that's recent!
What would you guys reccomend for these fish?
Bristle nose and rubbernose pleco
Regular sized cories
Guppies
Otos
CPDs
Sparkling gouramis
Least killis
And possibly food for ADFs?
And also a betta, but he eats everything besides the algea or veggie sticks

Right now I feed new life spectrum, 1mm and .5 mm, and tetra algea wafers.
I would LOVE large amounts of food..lol
My LPS will buy food off of me, and I can always RAOK some out!

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote