Sustainable brine shrimp?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sustainable brine shrimp?

Has anyone setup a sustainable brine shrimp tank? (ex let eggs hatch and brine shrimp grow and re-produce rather then keep buying eggs)

Is so what do you feed them or what is your setup?
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
diyer3984
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I haven't signed into this in a while but I'm working on the same thing so ill help.
OK this is what i have done. I set up a 10 gallon aquarium with 1 heater and a sponge filter with a top cover and 2 23W daylight (6500K) bulbs for adequate lighting. (I live in MN so I never count on the sun here.) Set up the tank add about 1/2 a cup of salt to every gallon of water(I add a little less than a half a cup). ANY salt even iodized is ok (naysayers might say otherwise but I've never had a problem). Set the temp to 80 deg F. Set the lighting to 14 hours a day. Get some marine algae online or do as i did and ask your LFS for some used salt water gravel to seed your hatchery with marine algae and bacteria. !! Now this might be crazy but it works. !! Grab some organic dirt put it into a small container cap it with sand and add it to the tank. (This promotes green water and bacteria for the brine shrimp to eat).!!Another important thing you dont want to add eggs directly to the tank!! So get and old small plastic dark container with a cap. Screw a hole in the side closer to the top. Put your eggs in there and float it in the water with an air bubble trapped on the top.(so it floats) in 2 days the brine will hatch look for light and leave the confines of the small plastic container via the hole. Then after 3 to 4 days remove the container(covering the hole of course) and discard the eggs. Now all you have to do is a monthly water change with well aged water and squeeze out the sponge every once in a while.
If you have freshwater fish i suggest you use Daphnia and you check out my post on Caudata. Just Google "Daphnia farm enjoy", it should be at the top.

Check out my Daphnia Farm
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...arm-enjoy.html
diyer3984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brine shrimp