Rotala rotundifolia stem breakage
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Paragon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Rotala rotundifolia stem breakage

I have a lower light tank that I fertilize every other day with the Macro/Micro nutrient mix, plus extra potassium.

Most of the plants are doing well, but my rotala rotundifolia is experiencing upper stems that get soft and black, then break off without warning. These aren't the base of the stem. They're halfway up. Ditto for this large feathery plant that usually grows like crazy. Even the larger rooted bundles are just disintegrating.

Meanwhile, the java fern, anubias, moss, melon sword, crypt retrospiralis etc. are growing just fine.

What's going on?
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

What does your macro fertilizer contain? How often you do water changes? Rotundifolia it's a weed in my tank. I give it away for free as it grows to the surface and shades other plants. Near the surface it's full of shoots.

I suspect a Ca deficiency or something in excess.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
Paragon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
What does your macro fertilizer contain? How often you do water changes? Rotundifolia it's a weed in my tank. I give it away for free as it grows to the surface and shades other plants. Near the surface it's full of shoots.

I suspect a Ca deficiency or something in excess.
I am using the Aquarium Fertilizer Macro Nutrient Mix + CSM+B. It doesn't have any Ca2+. I may need to dose that separately with some limewater. It was growing really well until recently. Most of its stems are doing well. It's a recent thing.

I do water changes about once ever 1-2 weeks, usually around 40% of the water. I think I'm overdosing ferts.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

You may try gipsum (CaSO4) or Calcium Chloride (CaCl2). Lime will raise the kH also. And dose just a little. Abrupt shifts in gH may cause problems. I lost plants like Staurogyne to gH swings and other might be affected too.

Found a bird mineral stone that contained three forms of Ca and my last water measurement revealed it raised only the gH. Look them up in the pet store at bird food. It will slowly dissolve in water if you don't put it in a high flow area.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Paragon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
Found a bird mineral stone that contained three forms of Ca and my last water measurement revealed it raised only the gH. Look them up in the pet store at bird food. It will slowly dissolve in water if you don't put it in a high flow area.
Oh, right, cuttlebone. If you don't give your turtles calcium-rich food, you can feed them that.

I'll try some calcium and see what happens there. It's very odd seeing all my stems decapitated.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not cuttlebone. That will increase kH too. This is a cube, mine was pinkish. This one contains CaSO4 and other trace minerals. Cuttlebone is rich in lime if I'm not mistaken.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

Its probably CO2 or a low light issue. I have mine growing in medium light and CO2 injection and it has been growing nicely.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.