Floating plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
re_hashed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Floating plants

Floating plants … that my Rainbows won’t eat.

I bought some fantastic water lettuce a while ago, popped them in, and within a couple of weeks they’d magically disappeared. Initially I wasn’t sure why they’d gone but since I have come to the conclusion that it was my wonderful rainbows.

When I was out a few weeks ago I walked passed a stream, which was full of the dreaded ‘duck-week’, and as I desperately wanted some floating plants in my tank, I scooped up a handful and popped them in my tank when I got home. Within the hour, my rainbows were having great fun absolutely pulverising them from underneath, and within a day they’d also all gone *I’d kinda thought that I may have been overrun with the stuff if I wasn’t careful.

Is there a floating plant (the same style as the water lettuce/duck weed) that may survive in my tank?

Also, should I put a piece of courgette (zucchini) in my tank to hopefully encourage my rainbows to eat that instead? They happily leave all of my other plants alone – Anubis, Java Fern, Vals, Various Crypts. They are partial to some hair algae that’s growing form my driftwood right at the surface which I leave there on purpose.

Maybe I wasn’t feeding my fish enough when I put the floaters in, that’s why the fish were going so mad for them?

One other question so I don’t start another thread:

My jungle vals: Growing like the clappers, BUT I can’t get them grow any longer/higher than about 10/15cms max !! I know that they are jungles because when I bought them, and initially put them in my tank, they were 30/40cms in length, the original plants melted (as expected) and I’ve got runners all over the place, so I know that they are healthy, but once they get to 10cms they just stop, put out another runner, and repeat. I bought jungle vals for a ‘wall’ at the back of my tank but that’s not happening at all.

Should I cut through some of the runners, so the energy of the plant actually goes into producing bigger/longer leaves rather than producing endless runners?

Or maybe can someone suggest a tall background plant, which propagates via runners (so I can plant and forget about), for a medium light tank?

See what I mean:

When I first put them in:

A shot as of a few weeks ago:

re_hashed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Paragon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Some type of myriophyllum will grow tall and unstoppably. It'll also float and make a tangled mess of roots if you'd like.
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.