When is new filter seeded
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
pastert33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

When is new filter seeded

I had a AC 50 running on my 29G red cherry tank. Well I came home and it was running dry I went back out and picked up a AC 70. Both have been running on the 29G for about 3 or 4 weeks now. I don't wanna pull out the 50 too soon. As far as what's running in the AC's. The AC50 has 2 sponges and the ceramic rings. The AC70 has 2 sponges and seachem matrix(been in there for approx. 3 days) in it. Both have a prefilter on the intake.

So guys, when do I know that the AC70 is seeded?
pastert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

3-4 weeks sounds pretty good. You could always move the ceramic rings from the old 50 to the new 70 when you remove the 50.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
3-4 weeks sounds pretty good. You could always move the ceramic rings from the old 50 to the new 70 when you remove the 50.
Yup - normally about a month of running in an established tank. You could also cut the bags and put half established ceramic rings and half unestablished seachem in both filters to speed the seeding process.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You could remove the media from the 50 a little at a time, perhaps 25% of it each week for a month.

However many fish you have, all the bacteria in the tank and both filters is taking care of the waste.
There is still bacteria living and doing its job in the filter you want to remove.
When you remove that bacteria the remaining bacteria in tank and the new filter must take over. The slower you remove the bacteria (the cycled but old filter) the less chance of an ammonia spike.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote