New Dwarf Guorami Pacing in the Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
dski13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Dwarf Guorami Pacing in the Tank

I bought a Dwarf Guorami for my 20 gallon planted aquarium. I currently have him in a 5 gallon quarantine tank until I know he is clean but he keeps pacing back and forth along the back of the tank. I have some floaters, a piece of water wisteria, and a small rock cave in there because I know they like to have planted tanks and places to hide. I have placed black paper around the back and sides of the aquarium so there is only one side open. He is also not paying attention to food when I feed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help him relax? Note: I also have 3 female guppies in there with him also in quarantine.

Thanks
dski13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

They're probably still stressed out from the move. Taking the guppies out and darkening the tank can help. Just be patient - we call the pacing on the glass "glass surfing", its a sign of stress. Slowly adapt them to high light. You're doing a good job by providing floaters.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
dski13
Algae Grower

So the guppies are new too and in quarantine so I can not take them out yet. Why would the guppies be adding to the stress of the move. Plus he will be with the guppies in the main tank once he gets out or quarantine. I have now put black paper on most of the front of the tank. The tank is in my office so there are people walking past the tank a lot. I hope he learns to relax soon his stressing out is stressing me out!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dski13 View Post
So the guppies are new too and in quarantine so I can not take them out yet. Why would the guppies be adding to the stress of the move. Plus he will be with the guppies in the main tank once he gets out or quarantine. I have now put black paper on most of the front of the tank. The tank is in my office so there are people walking past the tank a lot. I hope he learns to relax soon his stressing out is stressing me out!
The guppies are colorful and in close quarters - that creates stress. Also the tank is too small for the Gourami so he could feel trapped. They're also very sensitive to noise so if he's new and in an office that's loud he's probably freaking out.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
dski13
Algae Grower

So What is the bare minimum I should keep him in quarantine. If he is stressed, theoretically any disease he is carrying should show up sooner than later right?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
mfurufuru
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: New Dwarf Guorami Pacing in the Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
The guppies are colorful and in close quarters - that creates stress. Also the tank is too small for the Gourami so he could feel trapped. They're also very sensitive to noise so if he's new and in an office that's loud he's probably freaking out.
+1 they are sensitive to noise
mfurufuru is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.