New tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Ash&Jess
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New tank.

Hi folks. Just finished cycling a 60l marina tank with a marina slim 25 filter. It's currently planted with 3 pieces of bogwood two with Java fern and one with an amazon sword attached, a further amazon sword in the substrate, a couple of moss balls,and two further plants, which I'm not sure of and ill put pictures up later on to get your opinions. The tank is cycled, and nitrite levels have shown 0ppm for three days now so the first 6 neon tetra have just gone in. My first (of many!) question is this.....
I made a deal with the boss that we choose two sets of schooling fish, mine are the 6 tetra, hers will be 6 guppies (same sex!) in addition there will be 3 or 4 crystal red shrimp, 5 ottos either common or zebra and an assassin snail to keep the rest of the snail population in check (the visible egg count so far is about 90!) Obviously all being added gradually at different times. Is there anything else that would work here or will that be capacity once they are all in?
Cheers, Ash
Ash&Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Ash&Jess
Algae Grower

Couple of unidentified plants, I'm sure you'll know exactly what they are but I'm still new to all this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	81018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	81026  

Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Ash&Jess
Algae Grower

Not sure why it rotated the image!?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
plantedtankfan
Algae Grower

Keep an eye one the water quality as i add the rest of ur fish.
plantedtankfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Ash&Jess
Algae Grower

Yeah no doubt. I'll be adding 6 small guppies next, probably in a week or so. I decided to go with young fish as its preferable to watch them develop and grow, and I assume the bio load will be less significant as they are smaller. Or is the bioload greater as they are developing still?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Ash&Jess
Algae Grower

Anybody got a shout on the plant species pictured?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

looks like watersprite and some type of anubias to me and i would not add shrimp to that tank. even though they have small mouths they can still tear a shrimp up to eat it and most guppies will for sure.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Ash&Jess
Algae Grower

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
looks like watersprite and some type of anubias to me and i would not add shrimp to that tank. even though they have small mouths they can still tear a shrimp up to eat it and most guppies will for sure.
Thanks Wicca.
If its between shrimp and guppies the guppies get the sack. Not sure how to tell the boss yet but hey ho!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Ash&Jess
Algae Grower

Oh and I checked watersprite and I dont think itsthat. The leaves or fronds on this plant grow concentricly around the stem whereas on watersprite they don't unless there's different types of watersprite?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does the bottom plant have a central point where all the leaves connect to or is it stems? If its stems it looks like hygro kompact with many stems together.

The first plant is cabomba
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

the tetras might go after shrimp too. they eat meat as well. so if it was me i would get a few nice male guppies and the neons and forget shrimp. if shrimp is a must i would go with cherry shrimp. that way if they get eaten its not a huge loss in money shrimp wise. and its always better to start with shrimp so they can get a good population going first then add fish but its a tad late for that step here.

ok after being said i think pmcarbrey is prob right about the fist pic being cabomba having them sideways made it look diff once i turned my head (hehe) i have to agree cambomba
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
Ash&Jess
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Does the bottom plant have a central point where all the leaves connect to or is it stems? If its stems it looks like hygro kompact with many stems together.

The first plant is cabomba
Yep the bottom one is several stems together.
That's great guys thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
the tetras might go after shrimp too. they eat meat as well. so if it was me i would get a few nice male guppies and the neons and forget shrimp. if shrimp is a must i would go with cherry shrimp. that way if they get eaten its not a huge loss in money shrimp wise. and its always better to start with shrimp so they can get a good population going first then add fish but its a tad late for that step here.

ok after being said i think pmcarbrey is prob right about the fist pic being cabomba having them sideways made it look diff once i turned my head (hehe) i have to agree cambomba
Ah ok I had been told different re the shrimp and tetra but you never know. The only saving grace might be that the tank provides a lot of hiding but we'll see. Ill check if the supplier I'm thinking of using can supply shrimp that are grown on a little, hopefully that'll make them less of a target for the neons.