What is the logical next step? --RESOLVED - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

It will take a little while to stop. The minerals have to be "used" by the shrimp's system.
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #17
jczernia
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

You wrote the tank has been up for 5 years I think it is time to break it down and start over. Put the shrimp in spear tank and start over. I head something similar with my CRS. I moved them to a bear bottom tank for mean time and the deaths stop. Now I am ready to put them in in a newly cycled tank. I think I head bacteria issue.
jczernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #18
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

I do regular moderate water changes (25-30% every four days or so, average.) I use tap water that I condition with Amquel+.

Am I wrong in saying thats alot of water changes...
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #19
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

I only learned about 6 months back that my twice a week 25% WC was the likely source of my CRS and CBS deaths. Since I cut back to only when absolutely necessary (LOL!) the shrimp haven't stopped multiplying, and deaths have gone from quite frequent to almost never.

This is using remineralized distilled water, BTW.
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #20
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

5 years is a long time and the crash may have pushed it over the edge. Start the tank from scratch and I would think you should be good to go. While that is getting up to speed the bare bottom tank with a cycled filter should be fine.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #21
rah-bop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Mordalphus: Thanks, I hope they stop dying soon too.

Soothing_Shrimp: I hope so.

Dougolasjr and Rob: I used to have a billion shrimp and a filter that stopped working, so I was doing water changes with that frequency to keep things under control while I got a second filter going. Eventually the new filter was working fine but I just kept up the frequency of the changes for some reason (habit?). If something happened to the water source and there was a sudden drop in gh, then I agree, frequent water changes probably devastated my shrimp population because I was throwing out all of the mineral content. Now that I know that this was (probably) an issue with water hardness (and now that I have barely any shrimp left to make the water dirty), I am keeping an eye on the nitrates and I will only do water changes when I have to. I doubt I will need to do them very much at all for a while.

jczernia and rodcuda: I assume you mean that the substrate needs to be replaced, right? Is there something else I'd have to do? What are the signs that a tank needs to be completely overhauled?

I have ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia and it is currently keeping my pH amazingly stable. My plants are growing like gangbusters, there is algae for the shrimp to eat, and my bio filter is working very well. I am currently not having to fight to keep any of the parameters from swinging around, though I am adding minerals because my tap water is about 1 gh. Does ADA Amazonia naturally keep a gH of 5? Because otherwise I am having trouble coming up with reasons why I should throw my shrimp into an unstable new environment when things are already so shaky. Assuming I did redo the tank, what will be the difference between that and what I currently have? What is missing from my tank that should be changed?
rah-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #22
SHMaRiM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Read my thread.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=235338

It has all the info you could ever need about raising shrimps...

Pretty sure you are over reacting... No need to bomb the tank and restart.

My suggestion would be to not change the water very often... In all honesty the only time my shrimp do poorly is when I change the water too often. I change only 20% of my water about every 12-16 days...

Also, make sure you aren't feeding too much. If you have plants, feed about half as much as you "think" you need. Pretend you are the size of a shrimp... how much could you eat? Feed that amount about every other day, obviously adjusting to the size of colony you have. My guess is that you are giving them a thanksgiving feast every time you feed them... Put those fools on weight watchers.

The good news is that you killed off all the weaklings. The remaining shrimp are susceptible to whatever hell your friend threw at them.
SHMaRiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #23
rah-bop
Algae Grower

Third and hopefully final update:

I have not had any more deaths for a week now, which is a new high score lately. The water parameters are stable, everyone is perky and a couple are saddled and ready to party. Thank you to everyone who suggested raising the GH. That seems like it fixed my problem.
rah-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #24
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

So how long were you gone?

I once came home to the same situation you had. My fish were cheap and easy to replace. At first replaced them. Still had deaths. Thus cleaned filter and did water change. Then got more fish.

Now when I go off for a few weeks I prepare the fish by feeding them good frozen fish 2 weeks ahead of time. While I am gone they are left to feed off of the plants. Result is no more deaths.

I had a thread on how long fish can go without food. I comment was that a fish was found in a filter alive that had been setting aside for a few months. Might want to post a similar thread about shrimp.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #25
rah-bop
Algae Grower

I was only gone for a week, but it turns out it was pretty unlucky timing. I talked to several other people in my area who keep shrimp and they also experienced the same crash at the same time. I'm guessing the mineral composition of the tap water changed suddenly and it caught us all off-guard.

I also think the overfeeding was a problem. From now on if I'm gone for less than three weeks I just let them fend for themselves and things have been fine.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #26
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I had an issue with a tank at one time, where I had a bacterial/fungal issue possibly. Although I was able to keep the water clean, the infection had seemed to already get into the shrimp. Under a scope I was able to see the filament growth strands from the mouthparts of the shrimp, and it appeared to interfere with their eating ability. I tried several dips, increasing the strength gradually with no ill effect to the shrimp and no positive forward progress at the same time. Again, I was able to keep the water right, but the shrimp were already in the downward spiral at that point and randomly keeled over time. Oddly enough I had one berried female pass, at the same time appeared to release her eggs, and I have zero mortality amongst the young who are still thriving in the same tank.

Your sub-sequential deaths may have just been the final stages of the initial problem that could not be stopped internally.
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crystal red shrimp, water conditions