90g SA river scape (prob 56k warning needed) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
jamntoast
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

here is another of the bolivians, this is them about to have a sparring match

jamntoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #17
jamntoast
Planted Member

Here are my angels

Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
jamntoast
Planted Member

so... any thoughts on good crypts for the foreground? should i go with a brown motif or a green one
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
jamntoast
Planted Member

Come home from work today and find this

My angels laid eggs! I doubt they will make it, this is the first time this pair has spawned, but it's super cool!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #20
jamntoast
Planted Member

As expected the eggs are gone, I don't think they are ready to be tied down by kids yet. That's good for me anyways I don't have a good school of tetras in there to act as population control yet, I don't have anywhere to put a butt load of baby angels, so I'm trying to avoid it.
As for tetras I have 13 rummy nose that have been quarantining for about a week now waiting to go in. The had a outbreak of ich so I've got the heat cranked right up. Can't see the visible signs anymore so only a couple more days of that. The rcs I have in there will be glad it's over!
Also I wasn't planning on it but I think I'm going to try and net my school of black neons from my 75 and put them in this tank. They will look great and since the rummys will stay mostly in the lower parts they will occupy the top half well. I'm going to have enough going at the bottom, need to mix it up I think. I'll post some pics once they are in.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #21
jamntoast
Planted Member

So I tried to catch those black neons. Oh man, are they ever hard to catch in my 75! It's doubtful I'm going to get them now, I might try again during a water change when the water is low. Maybe I'll just stick with the rummy nose tetras that I can easily scoop out of my 10 g quarantine setup. Haha.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #22
jamntoast
Planted Member

Here are some fish pics just for fun

On another note on of the rummynose that is waiting in qt always has a white/pale nose which is bad. It's eating fine, schooling properly, and very active. I don't know what to think of it. Everyone else is pretty bright and normal looking. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #23
Mathman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default 90g SA river scape (prob 56k warning needed)

How long have they been in quarantine?
Keep in mind that all fish take awhile to acclimate and feel comfortable before show casing their true colors. Sometimes we want things to happen too fast ...but patience is the key. Your rummy nose will color nicely once in your large tank. Just give them sometime.
Mathman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #24
jamntoast
Planted Member

Not too long, over a week, Maybe ten days. It's just that its only that one that had the pale nose. He is a little anti Rudolph . Everyone else is pretty red on the nose and I expect it to come out more in the big tank, but this one fish just doesn't colour up on his nose. It's weird. But I do plan on keeping them in that tank for a while still so I think if he's sick it should show.hopefully. I'm trying to have Patience(sp?)after having to deal with the consequences of inpatience before.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #25
tex627
Sponsor

PTrader: (21/92%)

Just an opinion, but having so many large leaved plants especially in the background makes the aquascape look a tad crowded, busy, and chaotic. The fish look great though!

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

tex627 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #26
jamntoast
Planted Member

Ps I ended up catching those black neons after I decided id completely rearrange my 75. They are in there now getting to know their new digs. Hopefully it's up to snuff
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #27
jamntoast
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex627 View Post
Just an opinion, but having so many large leaved plants especially in the background makes the aquascape look a tad crowded, busy, and chaotic. The fish look great though!
I know what you mean as far as looking crowded and chaotic. It kind of bugs me as well. I haven't been able to figure what to do about it. I want a heavily planted tank mostly for the fish to be comfortable but also to look good in my living room, and I want to keep it low maintenance. Hence most of the plants I've chosen. I suppose I could take the anubias lancelota out fron the right there which might clear it up a bit and spread the rest of the mid/back ground plants out. What are ppls thoughts, how else could I improve this scape? I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I agree that the tank looks full but I am not sure this is a bad thing. The sword is part of the reason, but I would keep it. My suggestion has to do with the anubias on the driftwood: I would tie them on only at the base and let the branches stay naked. This is only my opinion. I think the plants tied to branches trick is overworked. Put 3 or 4 in among the rocks at the base and maybe one at a branching 1/3 of the way up and the feeling of open space above will increase.

That is a nice looking angel pair!

One other idea: you could group your lower crypts together by color. For example, keep the bronzes in one group and put some greens in another group. This will simplify the composition and reduce the chaotic look.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658

Last edited by tomfromstlouis; 02-06-2013 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: add a thought
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #29
Adamson
Algae Grower

So green! I like it! Do you know if any of your fish are a pair yet?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #30
jamntoast
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
I agree that the tank looks full but I am not sure this is a bad thing. The sword is part of the reason, but I would keep it. My suggestion has to do with the anubias on the driftwood: I would tie them on only at the base and let the branches stay naked. This is only my opinion. I think the plants tied to branches trick is overworked. Put 3 or 4 in among the rocks at the base and maybe one at a branching 1/3 of the way up and the feeling of open space above will increase.

That is a nice looking angel pair!

One other idea: you could group your lower crypts together by color. For example, keep the bronzes in one group and put some greens in another group. This will simplify the composition and reduce the chaotic look.
thanks for the input. thats a good idea with the anubias, i think i'm going to do that i have a few rocks in another tank i can bring over and i'll just tied the anubias to those and scatter them around the bottom probably on the left by the amazon sword. i might leave a couple sitting in the joints though, see how that looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson View Post
So green! I like it! Do you know if any of your fish are a pair yet?
i think i've got a couple pairs, the angels laid eggs and were a strong pair in the tank they came from. no babies yet though. one of them is still pretty young. the bolivians have also laid eggs, but in my 75 g. i think there is trouble in paradise with them though the male (i think it's the male) has been really beating on the other one, she's been been hiding quite a bit. hopefully i wont have to seperate them.

Tags
bolivian ram, dirt, geophagus, keyhole

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.