Fish Schooling Behaviour - Single or Multiple?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
greenaqua
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fish Schooling Behaviour - Single or Multiple?

So I got 6 rummynose and they are schooling tight. But mine is a 30G tank...and new tank so I am loading them slow. its primarily a planted tank. But I am thinking of making it a little more lively. I want only schooling small fish and no fishes that go in random all over the place.

So, do I just add more rummynose or add another kind? Will they school better when another kind of school is there or doesn't affect that behavior?

Thanks!
greenaqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

I think you can add a few more rummynose, then another type of tetra that contrasts the rummynose well like black neon or pristella tetra. Or you can have a big school of a smaller cory? Lots of options, are you looking into any other schoolers?
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
greenaqua
Algae Grower

Yes... I want only schoolers... I am trying to figure out if I add more rummynose... will they still try to stick together or try to form couple of schools.. esp I don't have any other fish..
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
greenaqua
Algae Grower

any other suggestions?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

No matter how many fish you have of one species, there will always be one or two that will not hang out with the others. or wants to explore on their own. However, if you get more of the same, then the effect is much better, you will really see good schooling action. When there are too-few of a species you do not see the real schooling behavior, even if you are not missing one or two that are doing their own thing.

Look at it this way:
If you have 6, and 1-2 are off on their own, then you are looking at a 'school' of only 4-5 fish. Not impressive.

But if you have a dozen, and 3 go off and hang out by themselves, you still have 9 in the main group, and that looks like something. If the tank is large enough I would get even more.

Is the tank a tall style?
Or a standard 29 gallon?
Either of these has enough top space and floor space to mix the tank with half a dozen Cories, or some Hatchets (covered top is a must).

If it is a shallow, long or breeder style, then I would get more Rummies, maybe a few Otos if needed, but nothing else.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
greenaqua
Algae Grower

Yeah.. 30G (I think its standard but looks long for 30G)
I also have 4 Otos but they are on their own and almost hiding during the day.. probably will get another 6 rummynose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.