Are African Dwarf Frogs illegal in Florida?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
potato_frog

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are African Dwarf Frogs illegal in Florida?

I've been researching how to care for these frogs for awhile now and found out some states have banned them. The only pet stores near me sell "tutti fruitti" frogs which I don't want to buy even though all frogs are awesome. I heard that some states ban the african dwarf or african clawed frogs and was curious if florida was one of them. I'd really like to own one and give it a long happy life.
potato_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

we bought an african dwarf frog at petco in fl so must be okay
chunkychun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
ghost shrimp
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ghost shrimp

Yeah All of my Local Fish store seems to sell African Dwarf frog's even the major chain's Petsmart/Petco.
ghost shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

Your parks wildlife (or parks and rec depending) should have a list of all banned species. you will need the scientific name to properly identify.

just because it is for sale in stores does not mean it is legal to own. Here in texas Apple Snails are on the banned species, but they are for sale at nearly every LFS in San Antonio. I have seen Asian Tiger "Lobsters" for sale at 3 different stores. I bought one, and a found out a couple months later that they to are on the banned species list here in TX.

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/a...l#.UNCkeLaU5nk
http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/no...bited-species/

it turns out that in FL you need a permit for Red eared sliders (turtle), and nearly all crayfish are banned but i didn't see anything about ADF

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.

Last edited by Aquatic Delight; 12-18-2012 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: links!
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
Your parks wildlife (or parks and rec depending) should have a list of all banned species. you will need the scientific name to properly identify.

just because it is for sale in stores does not mean it is legal to own. Here in texas Apple Snails are on the banned species, but they are for sale at nearly every LFS in San Antonio. I have seen Asian Tiger "Lobsters" for sale at 3 different stores. I bought one, and a found out a couple months later that they to are on the banned species list here in TX.

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/a...l#.UNCkeLaU5nk
http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/no...bited-species/

it turns out that in FL you need a permit for Red eared sliders (turtle), and nearly all crayfish are banned but i didn't see anything about ADF

The red ear sliders you can get if albino or another morph (think that is what it is called).

I have Maps in my pond and was interested in the Albino sliders but read many go blind or have impaired vision so did not get one because in a tank with haul out area that is one thing but in a pond that is another and would be scared with a blind turtle.

Last edited by Lia; 12-22-2012 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: added something
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato_frog View Post
I've been researching how to care for these frogs for awhile now and found out some states have banned them. The only pet stores near me sell "tutti fruitti" frogs which I don't want to buy even though all frogs are awesome. I heard that some states ban the african dwarf or african clawed frogs and was curious if florida was one of them. I'd really like to own one and give it a long happy life.

What are the "tutti fruitti" frogs , are they those fire belly ?
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

The website seems to contradict itself:

Quote:
Red-eared sliders are a common non-native turtle that has been popular in the pet trade. Red-eared sliders are listed as a conditional species in Florida. Anyone that possessed a pet red-eared slider before July 1, 2007 can legally keep their turtle and no permit is required. However, Floridians are not allowed to acquire red-eared sliders as personal pets after that date.

Anyone importing or possessing red-eared sliders for research, exhibition, or out of state sale is required to have a Conditional/Prohibited/Nonnative Species Permit. Certified aquaculturists with restricted species authorization from the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services may possess and cultivate red-eared sliders for out of state sale and for sale to permitted Florida researchers, exhibitors or dealers, or to other certified aquaculturists. Authorized aquaculturists that import red-eared sliders also must obtain a special permit.
Quote:
Turtles

Trachemys scripta elegans (Red-eared slider)
A permit is required to acquire red-eared sliders for personal possession; red-eared sliders must be contained in outdoor facilities that have a permanent containment barrier secured at least six inches below ground level to prevent escape by digging, erosion, climbing or by passing through gaps; such barriers may be constructed of solid metal or weather-resistant and rot-resistant material, and may not use mesh material. All eggs must be removed and destroyed daily from outdoor facilities.
Red-eared sliders in personal possession prior to July 1, 07 may continue in the possession of the owner
Red-eared sliders less than four inches carapace length may not be possessed after July 1, 08 without a permit
Red-eared sliders with distinctive aberrant color patterns, including albino or amelanistic specimens, may be possessed without a permit otherwise required by the rule
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
thelyzardiam
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to thelyzardiam

Dwarf African frogs are different from Tutti Fruity Frogs, one is a small frog that doesn't get very large and the other one is actually an albino African clawed frog that has been dyed various colors and they get pretty large and are aggressive.
thelyzardiam is offline   Reply With Quote