The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planted HOB thread.

227K views 328 replies 122 participants last post by  pejerrey 
#1 · (Edited)

I started this thread because of the interest I see from other members to start their own planted HOB.

The cascade 200 hob comes with an attachment that is perfect to be planted. Then the rest is adding media instead of their cartridges in the back. I'm sure you can make a lil mesh bag filled with soil and plant thru the mesh.

An hob resembles to me an hydroponic pot pot, it does get decent light too! Even in a low light tank!

this is my other planted HOB with baby tears I collected from a lake, invasive species... its better for it to be in my hob rather than in that lake:

In both HOBs I have there is fluval or eheim biomedia instead of the stuff (sponges or cartridges) that came with the hob. In top of the media there is a small square of sponge or pad (don't remember), in top of that moss and in top of the moss plants.

In one of the hob the moss goes all the way down to the substrate of the tank and the plants too.

When I clean the filter I just pull the plants and moss that is attached to that pad or sponge and fold back into the tank, go clean it, put it back in the tank and then unfold/ place the pad again in the same position, there is very little root growth into the media.

Now, because of the plants you will evaporate more water than your HOB already does normally. I was Surprised by this and I was looking around for leaks! Lol!

The HOBs can be noisier with their lids on, this is why I did this. To my surprise again, the plants provide excellent sound dampening.

please share you pictures and experience here

See less See more
#145 ·
So I confess I read the first page and then skipped to the end, but I'd like to follow this as well. The idea is brilliant, and I'd love to figure out how to make it work in my HOB (standard aqueaon/petco filter). I'm short on time now, but I had to mark this for further reading :)

#148 ·
I just read through the thread and thought to myself what a great idea! I want to try this.:drool:

I have a Marineland Penguin 150 Bio-Wheel Power Filter. Has anyone tried planting one of these filters or am I going to be the first? lol :)

I imagine it will be close the same process as everyone else went through with their different filters, but I am still a little confused... :confused:

One of the challenges that come to my mind is the keeping of the bio-wheel (temporarily) while I attach moss to the cascade. I figure I need to keep the wheel til the planted HOB gets established.

How do I attach the moss to the cascade? I am thinking about rigging up some type of screen to the cascade like PeJerry posted about on the first page, but how and what material to use?

Another question comes to mind.

If everyone is filling their HOB with a sponge or bio media and planting on top/around that, then how do they clean out there filters without disturbing the plants on top?

Just when I was kind of getting board with my setip, I think I just found my next project! Thanks PeJerry.

#149 ·
You're welcome.

We don't seem to find any problems at the time of maintenance nor with the roots reaching the impeller.

Just make sure that the plants are in the media compartment.

I think somebody had a bio wheel filter in this thread but I don't know how did that work out.

Bless!
:)

#153 ·
I would love to show some picture; however I had a slight change of mind here...

I plan to complete 2 HOB filters. I am going to keep my Marineland HOB filter running while I get my Aqua Clear filter planted. Once the Aqua Clear is established, I will start on the Marineland.

>20L Aquarium with Marineland Penguin 150

>Close up

>Inside

But before I get the Marineland Penguin 150 HOB filter planted, I want to first plant my Aqua Clear filter. Here are some picture of that.

>Aqua Clear

>Aqua Clear Near Tank

>Aqua Clear Inside

Any tips explained here will benifit more than just myself but anyone else searching the web about planted HOB filters. Thanks you.

#158 ·
In both HOBs I have there is fluval or eheim biomedia instead of the stuff (sponges or cartridges) that came with the hob. In top of the media there is a small square of sponge or pad (don't remember), in top of that moss and in top of the moss plants.
In one of the hob the moss goes all the way down to the substrate of the tank and the plants too.
When I clean the filter I just pull the plants and moss that is attached to that pad or sponge and fold back into the tank, go clean it, put it back in the tank and then unfold/ place the pad again in the same position, there is very little root growth into the media.

#161 ·
do you use carbon in your media box? or do you skip the carbon and add more bio media?
The fluval media is loose because is big and there is a 100ml purigen bag in between the media and the planted pad/sponge in my cascade HOB.

The AC has a Baggie for the eheim media and the moss is in top of that I think... Then the baby tears. In the betta tank.

I don't use carbon really, sometimes.

#160 ·
Another question comes to mind as I think about tacking this project.

How do you get the moss to grow all the way from the filter to the substrate? I am planning to use weeping moss in my cascade but I am wondering if I should sandwich the moss using Fiberglass screen...

#162 ·
How do you get the moss to grow all the way from the filter to the substrate?
It just did. Healthy neglect I guess.
There is a bunch of rocks under the out flow (shrimp motel) and the moss started falling in top of that and attaching to the rocks, now is all the way down.

Do the fiber glass thing if you want, post the progress here. We are all in the process of learning.

Try all kinds of plants, some will do good and some won't. Try different methods, same thing. But for sure patience works best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.