Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 140
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #2086
pglenn
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scags View Post
I am now using 2 needle valves. I have better control now, but find myself making adjustments daily. Really annoying. Definitely appreciating my main tank's 60 dollar dual gauge. Money well spent. I wish they would make a dual gauge that directly attached to paintball tanks - other than that 150 dollar red sea one- which looks cheap regardless of the price.

Searching the web for a high pressure fine adjustment needle valve seems hopeless.

PS- I am sure EOTD do happen, Co2 is deadly to fish/shrimp/snails and caution should be exercised when using any co2 setup!
first you have to realize exactly how this system works. it is not actually "regulating" the pressure. it is slowing the flow. similar but not quite the same. the pressure will still build even with low flow. a true regulator downscales the pressure from 800 to 150 or 70 or 15 or whatever, which you THEN adjust the flow on. now if you have 1, 2, 3, whatever needle valves in place, the "pressure" can still build across them. you have to (1) have the first valve nearly shut and (2) have the first valve not a cheap $8 valve that itself is only rated for 40lbs when the tank is putting out 800lbs. yhe high pressure is what makes these hard to adjust regardless of the valve. the last thing that will contribute to constant adjustments, other than minute leaks somewhere in the line, is the line itself. if you are using standard airline it will leak thru the line itself. maybe not at first but over time and under pressure. you need silicone line, at a minimum.

you "can" use a cheap needle valve with an expensive regulator but SHOULD NOT use a cheap needle valve on one of these. so, as you think it thru, getting the right equptment up front for a few dollars more starts to make more sense. a good system is set once and you rarely have to tinker with it after that other than changing the tank

Patrick
pglenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #2087
discgo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Perhaps I should clarify.

My first comment regarding the "real" regulator was unclear. Also, I may have misused the term "EOTD," adding to the confusion.

Let me define EOTD as when there remains no more liquid CO2 in the cylinder, and the gaseous CO2 begins to rush into the regulator, and it not being able to regulate the gas, will release it in increasingly large amounts into the aquarium (EOTD does not usually catastrophically release all the CO2 in at once).

Now, with most single stage regulators, the above phenomenon will occur.

With cheaper (I refer to this as "non-real") regulators, i.e. this one:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...0&postcount=11

EOTD can occur, but it is more likely that they will not be able to regulate the pressure from the start (i.e. when there is still liquid CO2 in the cylinder), and will result in a catastrophic failure (as it did for that user).

Actually, in that thread, the paintball cylinder released all the gas (while the cylinder was new), killing all the shrimp.

Then (later in the thread), a single stage regulator end of tank dumped into another aquarium, killing off all German Blue Rams and their fry

If you were open to running inline needle valves (rather than mounting them), you could use any standard needle/metering valve.
I think I see where I was confused now as well. I always thought that co2 regulators used the gas from the top of the tank and not the actual liquid c02. If I understand what you are saying than the regulators are picking up the liquid from the bottom of the tank and releasing it as a gas after decreasing the pressure.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #2088
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgo View Post
I think I see where I was confused now as well. I always thought that co2 regulators used the gas from the top of the tank and not the actual liquid c02. If I understand what you are saying than the regulators are picking up the liquid from the bottom of the tank and releasing it as a gas after decreasing the pressure.
CO2 regulators use the gas from the top of the cylinder and not liquid CO2.

A regulator, as its name implies, will regulate pressure (i.e. reduce the pressure from 800 PSI to a delivery pressure of 30 PSI).

From what I can see, those cheap paintball "regulators" do not do this.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #2089
discgo
Algae Grower

Quote:
CO2 regulators use the gas from the top of the cylinder and not liquid CO2.

A regulator, as its name implies, will regulate pressure (i.e. reduce the pressure from 800 PSI to a delivery pressure of 30 PSI).

From what I can see, those cheap paintball "regulators" do not do this.
That's what I always thought too until I read what you posted earlier about regulators not being able to regulate gaseous co2.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #2090
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglenn View Post
first you have to realize exactly how this system works. it is not actually "regulating" the pressure. it is slowing the flow. similar but not quite the same. the pressure will still build even with low flow. a true regulator downscales the pressure from 800 to 150 or 70 or 15 or whatever, which you THEN adjust the flow on. now if you have 1, 2, 3, whatever needle valves in place, the "pressure" can still build across them. you have to (1) have the first valve nearly shut and (2) have the first valve not a cheap $8 valve that itself is only rated for 40lbs when the tank is putting out 800lbs. yhe high pressure is what makes these hard to adjust regardless of the valve. the last thing that will contribute to constant adjustments, other than minute leaks somewhere in the line, is the line itself. if you are using standard airline it will leak thru the line itself. maybe not at first but over time and under pressure. you need silicone line, at a minimum.

you "can" use a cheap needle valve with an expensive regulator but SHOULD NOT use a cheap needle valve on one of these. so, as you think it thru, getting the right equptment up front for a few dollars more starts to make more sense. a good system is set once and you rarely have to tinker with it after that other than changing the tank

Patrick
I agree. I have a dual stage on my big tank, and I never have to touch it. It flows nice a smooth for months on end. My cheap setup is already empty. So I have to refill that tank again and look into buying proper equipment. Just seemed like I was hearing alot of people using these cheap setups and thought I would give it a try.
I was using proper Co2 line and I used teflon tape and checked for leaks. It was like you said first off- the pressure was continuously building and letting out massive amounts of co2 over time. Luckily I have no livestock in that tank right now- cause they'd be dead.

Where do I find higher rated needle valves?
scags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #2091
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Since you guys already have the paintball tanks, wouldn't it be more logical to just buy those 80 dollars Aquatek?

OR if you want to go the pure sexy paintball way, you can do this:

Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #2092
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scags View Post
Where do I find higher rated needle valves?
eBay, or here on the forum For Sale subsection are good places to start.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #2093
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Thanks dark! I will start looking.
scags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #2094
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
I've been getting alot of messages about certain type of Valves to use. If you find something that resemble this type of On and Off Valve, it will work. I wouldn't use any of the other Mini On and Off Valves that are on [Ebay Link Removed] The On and Off Valve should be about 4 inches long. This is another one of my setup, but I decided not to use a gauge on it. So it's just capped off.

Hope that helps alot better.
I can only find a A-42 needle valve will it still work?
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #2095
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
I can only find a A-42 needle valve will it still work?
Rather than get an industrial type needle valve, you would be best off getting a finer needle valve that can control CO2 flow rate to a higher degree.

Without a needle valve that has fine control, you will be constantly fighting a floating flow rate, not to mention that the slightest shift will cause your flow rate to fluctuate.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #2096
h0meless
Algae Grower

How well does that paintball tank work, flyinghellfish? I was checking them out since apparently they'll help sort of prevent end of tank dump, but I hear that some of them leak?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Since you guys already have the paintball tanks, wouldn't it be more logical to just buy those 80 dollars Aquatek?

h0meless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #2097
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post

Is there plans for this set up some where I'm missing?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #2098
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Rather than get an industrial type needle valve, you would be best off getting a finer needle valve that can control CO2 flow rate to a higher degree.

Without a needle valve that has fine control, you will be constantly fighting a floating flow rate, not to mention that the slightest shift will cause your flow rate to fluctuate.
I got some Milwaukee regulator and I'm in the process of winning a reg from a guy who was doin planted tanks so it should have everything I need. Besides the fitment to the paintball tank which I have. This whole CO2 is becoming a problem and I haven't even set it up yet? Thanks for any info tho.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #2099
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

This is one that I won so far.
It's a Smith Eqipment CGA320 medium duty.
Not Milwaukee sorry!

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps95249374.jpg
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #2100
Darkblade48

The Smith regulator looks fine. Take off any extra fittings and add on the necessary fittings for your needle valve and solenoid (if you wish to have one) and you'll be done, since you already have the paintball adapter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.