Permission to post your DIY projects on my website
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
ryantube
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (89/100%)

Permission to post your DIY projects on my website

Hi all fellow DIYers,

I am a big fan of aquarium diy projects to the point i created a website call tankdiy.com. There is nothing in there yet but I'd love to choose your best projects to put in there. Of course I will give proper credits for the creators.

Do I get permission to do that in this forum or I need to contact individual authors to get permission?

Thank you and please enlighten me!

Ryan
ryantube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

You can link to a project for sure but yes, you'll need the author's permission to copy their text and images over to your site.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
ryantube
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah I think so too. Just created the domain name. Lots of great projects out there but they are all over the place. I hope to bring order to make it easy to follow. Of course it's free to everyone.
I would need lots of help contacting the authors to get permission, editing and combining the contents to make a smooths flow. Those projects look good in the forum but hard to follow due to multiple episodes and being separated by comments.

Advice and suggestions are always welcomed. The purpose is not to shift viewers away from any forum, just to find the best projects to help everyone from beginners to advanced aquarists.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
discgo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantube View Post
Yeah I think so too. Just created the domain name. Lots of great projects out there but they are all over the place. I hope to bring order to make it easy to follow. Of course it's free to everyone.
I would need lots of help contacting the authors to get permission, editing and combining the contents to make a smooths flow. Those projects look good in the forum but hard to follow due to multiple episodes and being separated by comments.

Advice and suggestions are always welcomed. The purpose is not to shift viewers away from any forum, just to find the best projects to help everyone from beginners to advanced aquarists.
I think a sticky thread with an updated list of diy projects here would accomplish this nicely.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I am unaware of the inter-web legalities. But, I can pretty much gaurantee you'll tick-off and alienate the membership here if you start posting intellectual property without individual permission.

Best of luck with your new project
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
ryantube
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgo View Post
I think a sticky thread with an updated list of diy projects here would accomplish this nicely.
I find it rather difficult to read 10 pages of the projects interwined with comments.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
ryantube
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I am unaware of the inter-web legalities. But, I can pretty much gaurantee you'll tick-off and alienate the membership here if you start posting intellectual property without individual permission.

Best of luck with your new project
That's the purpose of this thread.
Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
discgo
Algae Grower

Quote:
I find it rather difficult to read 10 pages of the projects interwined with comments.
That seems to be a common problem with discussion forums.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
benjaf
Algae Grower

While I strongly support the idea, you might want to talk to 'scapegoat', he's working on something similar. It would be a shame to split the community more than it already is!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
ryantube
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good idea to link between our sites.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
crowndroyal
Algae Grower

I do not really think it would split the community, I think it may bring in more people and the loyal ones will always stay.

On the other hand I think linking to the original would need to be done as well as giving that author(s) the proper recognition.

contacting the original author(s) would be best I am sure most would not have a problem.
crowndroyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Hi All,

Copyright laws apply to digital text, music, and images just as they do to printed text, photos, music, and films.

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

Pretty sure most of the DIY projects are not original (lots of prior art from reefs, dendro, etc.) here so copyright would not apply. He can pretty much copy whatever he wants but would alienate a lot of people.

It would be best if he was polite and asked permission but I don't think he is legally obligated too.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Hi all fellow DIYers,

I am a big fan of aquarium diy projects to the point i created a website call tankdiy.com. There is nothing in there yet but I'd love to choose your best projects to put in there. Of course I will give proper credits for the creators.

Do I get permission to do that in this forum or I need to contact individual authors to get permission?

Thank you and please enlighten me!

Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaf View Post
While I strongly support the idea, you might want to talk to 'scapegoat', he's working on something similar. It would be a shame to split the community more than it already is!
I'd love more assistance. I've already gotten in touch with a few people regarding using their content for my site opensourceaquatics.com. I just havent had the time to copy the content over! I'm working 9-5 AND trying to get my freelance business going with more web work, so I've been working some nights already while fitting family time.

Ryan,

if you'd like to work together I'd love the help. I've based my sit around a wiki style and really want to start documenting some things and producing gifs of my own to better explain some ideas.

If you'd like to get involved with my site, please get in touch! The more people the merrier and the stronger the site can become. If you're more keen on sticking it out yourself, the only thing I can suggest is sending PM's to those that you're interested in using their material and requesting permission as I have.

Posting a catch all forum post really doesnt cut if for permission as everyone will be different.

Personally, I'd like to see more help with my site haha.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
whickerda
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Good idea to link between our sites.
You could just put this link on your start page:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20