Kinda wanna tear down my big tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Kinda wanna tear down my big tank

By big I mean 40g. I'm just kind of tired of it. I love the way it looks and I would miss seeing it, but I'm at the point where maintenance is feeling too much like a chore even tho it's just a 15 minute water change a week. Just tired of worrying about the fish being healthy, doing the water changes, pulling duck weed out each week (lol) - all of it.

My problem is that I have no one to give my fish to. I won't do craigslist - I just feel like they're my repsonsibility and I'm worried some stranger won't take good care of them. I rehomed a few SAE's a few years back (to someone on here no less) and both ended up dead not long after. And all my fish are schoolers except for my BN, so just waiting till they eventually die out doesn't seem fair to the 1 or 2 of each kind that will eventually be left on their own. So I feel like I'm stuck in a cycle of buying new fish I don't really want to keep the ones I currently have (and really don't want either) happy.

Just venting I guess. I love my little betta tanks and would keep those no matter what. But I've just lost my passion for the most part.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Can you trade them in for gear at you LFS?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

All i have local are chains - Petco and Petsmart, and they don't take in fish. And even if they did I'd never give my fish to either of those death traps.

And I have a feeling my BN is going to outlive me! He's only about 4 and I think they live up to 12 years.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you can't find an aquarium group in the area, one trick with Craig's list is to require a picture of their tank set up to show they actually know what they're doing.

Otherwise, simplify the tank as much as possible to keep the workload to a minimum and let it ride. I went thru close to a year of hating my tank after my divorce--just fed up with the constant work and worrying about the well-being of fish I didn't want anymore--but after ten months of mostly benign neglect, I started thinking about adding a couple fish, maybe pruning the swords and making room for a different plant... and found myself back in the swing of things again.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
aliclarke86
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Kinda wanna tear down my big tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
If you can't find an aquarium group in the area, one trick with Craig's list is to require a picture of their tank set up to show they actually know what they're doing.

Otherwise, simplify the tank as much as possible to keep the workload to a minimum and let it ride. I went thru close to a year of hating my tank after my divorce--just fed up with the constant work and worrying about the well-being of fish I didn't want anymore--but after ten months of mostly benign neglect, I started thinking about adding a couple fish, maybe pruning the swords and making room for a different plant... and found myself back in the swing of things again.
I would also ask for water parameters. If they enjoy the hobby enough they should be happy to provide this for you

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
aliclarke86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

You're in the DC area? If so, we have more than just Petco and Petsmart here. There's Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring, House of Tropicals in Timonium, Congressional Aquarium in Rockville, etc.

Also, there are plant/fish groups here like GWAPA.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 02-03-2013 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: No discussion of selling/trading outside For Sale and local sections
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry the tank has become a chore.

Wish I had the room to take it off your hands!

Hopefully this is just a "phase".
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

It might be worth it to try the local forum on here. I bet you can get responsible people to take them off your hands. I also like the asking for a picture of their tank idea if they are on craigslist.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
DaveMcKenz
Algae Grower

Hi Wendy,
It's none of my business but you sound kind of down or depressed even. With 2700 posts, this is not a new toy that has lost its shine. I suspect something else is changing your outlook on aquaristics and maybe other things. That would fall under the category of hopefully just a phase. If I am wrong, I'm sorry. If I'm right, please talk to someone about your problems, whatever they may be. I wish you only the best and please take care.
Good luck,
Dave
DaveMcKenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinibottom View Post
You're in the DC area? If so, we have more than just Petco and Petsmart here. There's Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring, House of Tropicals in Timonium, Congressional Aquarium in Rockville, etc.

Also, there are plant/fish groups here like GWAPA.
I don't drive, so my only store options are my local Petco/Petsmart.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcKenz View Post
Hi Wendy,
It's none of my business but you sound kind of down or depressed even. With 2700 posts, this is not a new toy that has lost its shine. I suspect something else is changing your outlook on aquaristics and maybe other things. That would fall under the category of hopefully just a phase. If I am wrong, I'm sorry. If I'm right, please talk to someone about your problems, whatever they may be. I wish you only the best and please take care.
Good luck,
Dave
Nah, I'm alright. I've had this tank up for about 5 years now - maybe 6 (can't remember). I truly am just sick of messing with it. Dragging the big Python out, dripping water and duckweed and snails all over the floor. It's just becoming a drag. Like I said I'd still keep my 5g betta tanks, and I'd miss seeing the tank cause it's a lovely jungle. But I'm just tired of it.

I dunno what I'll do. Probably nothing. One school of fish was given to me by a friend and they are some type of rasbora that's not sold in chain stores, and I've had them 2 or 3 years now so as they are dying off I'm not replacing them. So maybe as the bio load gets lighter I can lengthen the time between water changes to every 2 weeks.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Hey Wendy, do whatever's gonna make ya happier with it in the long run... Maybe just a bit of a break would be good. My fiance keeps rats, and at one point was up to three cages! She is now down to three rats in one larger cage, and has said she's taking a break for a while after these ones pass one, not cause she doesn't love rats, but because the maintenance was getting the better of her.

On the other hand, I am setting my tank up, and plan to devise a water change that should be bucketless and dripless... IDK how well it will work just yet, but I suspect it will work, and make me less likely to tire of the husbandry required by an aquarium. If you'd be interested in the idea to maybe just lighten your load a bit, I'm happy to share my idea.

Whatever you decide, give yourself time to make sure it's the right choice for ya!

Best of luck!
-Scott
scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #13
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah I think sometimes you can just can burned out even with something you basically enjoy. Part of my problem is that I don't have room to store my empty tank. It's an odd size and shape and is no longer made and I got it specifically cause it's the only thing that really fits in the only space I have for a decent sized tank. So if I tear it down I'll have to get rid of it, and I'm worried I'll regret it. I've considered having a plant only tank, but I don't think I'd like that and I'd always be tempted to add fish to it.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Yeah I think sometimes you can just can burned out even with something you basically enjoy. Part of my problem is that I don't have room to store my empty tank. It's an odd size and shape and is no longer made and I got it specifically cause it's the only thing that really fits in the only space I have for a decent sized tank. So if I tear it down I'll have to get rid of it, and I'm worried I'll regret it. I've considered having a plant only tank, but I don't think I'd like that and I'd always be tempted to add fish to it.
I've seen a lot of people on here who go without CO2, filterless, and without water changes for months on end and they have awesome tanks. You'd probably have to adjust the type of plants you use, and lessen your bioload (maybe get some big fancy snails if you can't stand to not have critters?), but it's possible to reduce the amount of maintenance you need to do. I have a low-tech tank and change out about 25-30% of the water every 2 weeks, and the only reason I do it that frequently is b/c I have dirt in the tank, and I didn't take all the wood chips out of it, so by the end of 2 weeks my water is like a light tea color when viewed from the side.

Anyway, if you do decide to break it down, let me know. My husband will kill me but I wouldn't mind picking up another setup.
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcKenz View Post
Hi Wendy,
Good luck,
Dave
i feel like that is a little out of line, but wendy didnt seem to take offense.

Wendy, it seems like you're just bored with the routine. Hell, I can't believe you've kept the same tank going for that long!

sounds like it's time to bring some excitement back into keeping that fish tank! Change it up, pass those fish along to someone who will take care of them and redo your tank. Maybe try dirted and minimal ferts. I had amazing luck with a dirt tank capped with eco complete and PPS dosing with hardly a water change. fish and plants flourished and it was an easy tank to take care of.