Need advice on my Oto
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Loumeer
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Need advice on my Oto

Ok so I just installed a new sponge filter and one of my ottos got stuck in the crevice of the sponge for a while. I found him in time and still alive but one of his gills looks red like he is injured. Is there anything I can do to help him recover?

So far I have dosed Melafix just in case.
Loumeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Melafix isn't great. With fish that have damage you're just trying to prevent infection and further harm. Get ahold of some methylene blue and dose accordingly - it'll prevent infections while it begins to heal up. Normally aquarium salt helps prevent infections and yoking the heat up can kill bacteria and kick start the healing process (I'm not too sure about oto's sensitivity to salt, so be careful). The best thing you can do right now is cover your crevice so it doesn't happen again. I strongly suggest moving the oto to a small holding tank while you dose the methyl blue, salt, or heat so it doesn't mess with the other fish, plants, etc. Offer the little guy an algae wafer after a day and then after that give him some veggies (preferably cucumber).
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Actually, increasing the temp can actually make a bacterial infection worse, as many bacteria thrive in warmer water. I never recommend increasing the temp if a bacterial infection is suspected unless treating with true antibiotics.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote