180P build - Page 26
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #376
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (255/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugman View Post
Ugh....okay. I hate posting pictures that look worse then it once did. This will be a good beginning reference picture before it grows in. I still have some baby tears left in there to rip out. I spent four hours removing sheets of baby tears then sucking out the soil and replacing it with black lava rocks. I figure I can get more flow over it with the lava rock. I ended up having more of the mini pella then I originally thought. Instead of buying more I think I'll just let this grow in.
Good move. The before and after pics take time, but are well worth the effort.
The nice thing with the MP is you use those same rocks much like legos.

So you can move them around, or build stacked rocks covered up higher for scaping.

This allows you to make some nice canyons and other spots in the scape in different places.

Gloss would be good for the foreground also, easy to mow compared to HC.
Hairgrass/UG are both out, they will get infested and be a PITA. H. tenenllus of dwarf sag(true stuff sold here) might work nicely but will be taller than Gloss. Rotala "green" would also work.
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #377
Pugman
Algae Grower
 
Pugman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Good move. The before and after pics take time, but are well worth the effort.
The nice thing with the MP is you use those same rocks much like legos.

So you can move them around, or build stacked rocks covered up higher for scaping.

This allows you to make some nice canyons and other spots in the scape in different places.

Gloss would be good for the foreground also, easy to mow compared to HC.
Hairgrass/UG are both out, they will get infested and be a PITA. H. tenenllus of dwarf sag(true stuff sold here) might work nicely but will be taller than Gloss. Rotala "green" would also work.
I had Glossto in my first planted tank and it requires a lot of trimming as well. I love how bright green it is. H.Tenenllus ? Got a pic of that one? Google didn't work. I was at Petsmart the other day and I saw some micro Ludwigia that was cool looking (not for this scape)I had never seen it before. I really am liking the C.Parva, how it looks and how it grows. Is there a smaller version? I'm going to have to get some of the powder soil or grind up some because I'm not digging the little ball look in the foreground.
Pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #378
Pugman
Algae Grower
 
Pugman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
I agree, dont worry bout it. Its not like beautiful tanks come in a box, it takes patience and dedication. Not to mention once that mp fills in its going to be a very impressive carpet given the size of your tank.
I agree once it fills in I will be very pleased. I think one of the reasons I changed out the Baby Tears is that the tank grew in, in three weeks. all the anticipation was over too quick. I was used to buying one inch coral frags and growing them out over years to large colonies. The Mini Pella grows faster then corals but I think it will have a more satisfying affect when it's complete.
Pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #379
Pugman
Algae Grower
 
Pugman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico
Posts: 145
Default

Just an update I swapped out the MP10 for an MP40. I also added a 9watt turbo twist in the loop.
Pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #380
scbrooks87
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: El Cajon
Posts: 214
Default

Whoa! That looks totally different! I can't wait to see how this thing starts to look as it grows in. I see small similarities in the rock work to what you had before, but so many differences.

Glad you posted pics though, I like being able to follow an aquascape, seeing where it started, and what it becomes. It's inspirational, and like it was said before, shows the hard work, dedication, and patience that went in to it!

-Scott
scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #381
JonWF
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 17
Default

Has the tank bowed at all? Is it noticeable? Thanks and great work!
JonWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #382
Pugman
Algae Grower
 
Pugman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWF View Post
Has the tank bowed at all? Is it noticeable? Thanks and great work!
The tank bows no more then the day I filled it. It does bow tho..
Pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 AM   #383
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru
 
mrkookm's Avatar
 
PTrader: (94/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugman View Post
Just an update I swapped out the MP10 for an MP40. I also added a 9watt turbo twist in the loop.

Isn't the MP40 a bit much, why didn't go with an MP20?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugman
The tank bows no more then the day I filled it. It does bow tho.
Is that 3/4in glass?
__________________



The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #384
Pugman
Algae Grower
 
Pugman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
Isn't the MP40 a bit much, why didn't go with an MP20?
Mostly because they don't make a MP20 anymore.



Is that 3/4in glass?
It's a hair bigger then 5/8" I forgot the mm equivalent.
Pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #385
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,729
Default

I think it is 15mm.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #386
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient
 
AaronT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (202/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 2,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugman View Post
Well not much matured but I've learned what fits into my schedule. First of all I ended up replacing the sand with soil. I found two 2" scratches in my tank and it was either sand that was caught in my algae pad or the Kent metal pro scrapper that I was using. I only use acrylic safe pads now.
I got a tip recently to try Mr. Clean magic erasers for cleaning the glass in my tanks and I have to say they work quite well for getting the little bit a green dust I get each week and take very little elbow grease. Supposedly they are safe on acrylic as well, but I've not tested that as all of my tanks are glass. Make sure to get the original one as the other types have harsh cleaners and such added to them.

They also aren't safe to use right at the substrate in which case I recommend the razor blades or an old credit card as suggested before.
__________________
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association! www.gwapa.org
AaronT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #387
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (255/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
Isn't the MP40 a bit much, why didn't go with an MP20?




Is that 3/4in glass?
They no longer sell the MP20's, only the 40's, which are the same size.
You can just dial the 40 down, makes less noise and last longer if you do also.


For cleaning glass:

Plastic scrapers only.
Acrylic pads will scratch if....you get a snail shell or a piece of hard ADA grit from the soil that is sometimes present.

Here's the good part: always clean top to bottom, never up and down, and never side to side.

This is true for the pads and the plastic scraper.

So you only scrub down from the surface.
Never up.

Really tough stuff? A clean new razor blade.
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 AM   #388
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru
 
mrkookm's Avatar
 
PTrader: (94/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,598
Default 180P build

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
They no longer sell the MP20's, only the 40's, which are the same size.
You can just dial the 40 down, makes less noise and last longer if you do also.


For cleaning glass:

Plastic scrapers only.
Acrylic pads will scratch if....you get a snail shell or a piece of hard ADA grit from the soil that is sometimes present.

Here's the good part: always clean top to bottom, never up and down, and never side to side.

This is true for the pads and the plastic scraper.

So you only scrub down from the surface.
Never up.

Really tough stuff? A clean new razor blade.
Thanks for adding that tidbit about the Vortech.

Is Starphire glass any easier to scratch than a regular glass?



from my iP 5 via Tapa.
__________________



The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #389
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
Thanks for adding that tidbit about the Vortech.

Is Starphire glass any easier to scratch than a regular glass?



from my iP 5 via Tapa.
Yes it is because of the lower iron content makes it "softer".

Pugman- How did you like the Fluval plant stratum, I forgot to ask?
Any ammonia leach or crumbling over time?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #390
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru
 
mrkookm's Avatar
 
PTrader: (94/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,598
Default 180P build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Yes it is because of the lower iron content makes it "softer".
Ok, good to know.



from my iP 5 via Tapa.
__________________



The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012