how many fluval shrimp granules to feed 25 cherries and 10 tiger shrimp?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
altiuscitius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

how many fluval shrimp granules to feed 25 cherries and 10 tiger shrimp?

***This post got long and rambly. To summarize, TLDR: how many fluval shrimp granules, and how often, would you feed 25 rcs and 10 tigers in the same, densely planted fluval ebi tank?***

I redid my 8gallon fluval ebi, which was my first shrimp tank. It was set up for about a year with 30 red cherry shrimp (but very high quality, basically painted fire red culls). I fed one fluval shrimp pellet per shrimp, each day. 30 pellets, every day. Way too much in retrospect.

I lost about half of them over the next few months, due to my ridiculous overfeeding. They bred, but slowly, maybe 3 surving to adulthood out of each batch. I had about 3-4 generations I think before they were wiped out.

I lost the rest when I placed some plastic pipes in the tank, to use as breeding tubes, which were listed as safe for potable water, but everything died within a week, so Im assuming it was due to a chemical contaminant.

So I left the tank fallow for a few months, watched the planaria and worms (side note, I had an infestation of herbivorous nematodes, they would work their way down my frogbit roots and eat off all the root hairs. I always found them interesting) and the single nerite do their thing, then finally I decided to try again. I redid the tank, let it cycle up over a month, and restocked it with 25 small (half an inch to 3/4) red cherry shrimp, and 10 large (1 inch to 1 1/4 inch) tiger shrimp.

So my question, I dont want to overfeed, but I feel like with that many shrimp, biofilm wont be enough. So how much should I be feeding? People say as much as they can eat in 3 hours, but even when I was feeding 30 pellets a day last year, it still was all eaten in an hour?

Any suggestions for feeding quantity and frequency? Anyone else use the fluval shrimp granules that come with the ebi?

The tank is a stock ebi, stock light, stock filter with a giant sponge tied to the intake with fishing line to cover the intake and save shrimplets, fluval shrimp stratum substrate, constant temp of 75 degrees, ph just under 7 out of the tap, and I dont monitor it, but stratum should buffer it to 6.5. Its planted with one giant stem of wisteria to hide the filter, a bunch of rotala carolianas, a softball sized clump of java fern, and a few small anubias on a extra holey piece of malaysian driftwood, another piece of malaysian driftwood with some moss, a small patch of dwarf hairgrass, and a small patch of crypt. parva, and some crypt wendtti. I just took a little bit of everything from my other tanks to see what would grow, and luckily its all doing well. So really, lots of places for biofilm to grow.

Thanks for any advice, its appreciated.
altiuscitius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
crazydog64
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Dang 30 pellets every day for 30 shrimp that was a ton!! At least you know it now. You really don't have to worry about the shrimp starving they always find food, yes even 35 in an ebi. I would say do a finger pinch worth (like a pinch of salt) once every 2-3 days. I have pretty much never heard of anyone killing shrimp by underfeeding them, but overfeeding on the other hand, I would say is right up there with an uncycled tank for shrimp deaths. This is just one guys opinion though, I'm sure others will weigh in.
crazydog64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

Constantly feeding the Fluval stuff means you were overloading your shrimp with protein. That leads to growth issues, molting problems and health problems in general. A more balanced/varied diet would be best for them.

Feed your shrimp every 2-3 days, not every day. Feed only what they can eat in a couple hours. Alternate feedings with things like blanched spinach, zucchini, nettle leaves, prepared shrimp foods like Fluval's product should be fed only occasionally, other shrimp-specific foods. I also like to keep Indian Almond Leaves in my tank for shrimp to feed on as they decay.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
altiuscitius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the advice guys. I would have responded sooner but I had internet issues. I've started feeding way less and it just means the 4 biggest tigers each grab a pellet and run away, while everyone else trys to follow and snap some pieces off of it. Ive also introduced spinach and soon zucchini into the mix. Took them a few hours to go for the spinach, but they ate it in the end, and at least that way everyone got some. I keep hearing about almond leaves, I think I'll have to try and track some down.

Thanks for the helpful information.
altiuscitius is offline   Reply With Quote