ACF Emergency! Please help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
DaBears
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ACF Emergency! Please help!

Hey so I had an African clawed frog in a 5 gallon tank. I upgraded tank size and moved him over today. He was swimming around and acting fine right when I put him in. Then I went out to dinner and came back. Now he is just kinda sitting in the corner and seems sick. He won't eat, even when the food is landing on his head. His skin seems darker. Also, there seems to be these tiny raised lines that are all over his body that I haven't noticed before. They go with the curve of his body so it's kinda almost like they're supposed to be there. Sorry my camera sucks and I can't get a good pic. Idk what to do! I already broke down the old tank so I could set it back up but idk if that'd do anything. Need help/advice. Thanks!
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
DaBears
Algae Grower

Alright I wanted to get that up to see if I could get any quick responses. Now ill go into the details. His old tank was a 5 gallon bare bottom with a decorative castle and sponge filter. No heater, and just ambient light from a well lit room.

New tank I got for Christmas along with some driftwood. I boiled the driftwood and let it soak for about three weeks. A week ago, I set up the new tank, added tiny particle sand and driftwood. It has a HOB filter. Today I did a big water change to get rid of the slightly brown water from the tannins and then added the frog. This tank also has a fluorescent lamp that gets pretty hot, I have noticed. I can't really think of anything else but please let me kno if u need any other details.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
danakin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Did you treat the water for chlorine? Could be a reaction to chlorinated water (I have little experience with frogs in my adult life, only kept them as a kid in Texas)
Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #4
DaBears
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakin View Post
Did you treat the water for chlorine? Could be a reaction to chlorinated water (I have little experience with frogs in my adult life, only kept them as a kid in Texas)
Pretty sure no chlorine cuz I've used the same water for new and old tank without treating. It's the filtered water we get and apparently it's RO.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
DaBears
Algae Grower

Well I think it's either the filter or the light that's bothering him. I turned them both off and an hour later he is looking and acting perfectly fine. I'm keeping them both off and going to bed. Tomorrow ill try to verify that it is one of these things and then figure out why it is bothering him.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
FriendsNotFood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

The raised bumpy lines that look like the frog is stitched together are perfectly normal. ACFs also change color depending on their substrate, so if he's on a dark substrate, he will turn darker. The only thing that would concern me is the not eating part. I've had ACFs eat until they threw up, so I know they'll eat whether they're hungry or not. Maybe just give him some time to adjust. You mentioned the light bothering him so maybe dim your light with floating plants or put some window screening under it. And make sure your frog has places to hide that will make him feel secure.
FriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

I agree with FriendsNotFood, stress from the new surroundings and bright light can cause any creature to not move around or eat. The raised crisscross pattern is part of his lateral line system and helps him navigate darker water.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

A stressed frog won't eat for a bit, just give him time, he won't starve. When I had a frog jump out of a tank and spend a good hour on the floor (I was sleeping), it took him a day or two to get back into his normal behavior.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
FriendsNotFood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

LOL mine used to get out of the tank all the time when I was a kid. My dog would find them covered in dust looking like little dust balls. We'd wash them off, put them back in the tank, and they were just fine. Best pet ever. I had one live for 17 years.
FriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Check you water, even though you used the old water it will not be cycled with the new filter.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
dmagerl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendsNotFood View Post
LOL mine used to get out of the tank all the time when I was a kid. My dog would find them covered in dust looking like little dust balls. We'd wash them off, put them back in the tank, and they were just fine. Best pet ever. I had one live for 17 years.
Thats funny. I had one as a kid and thats exactly what kept happening We used to have to search the basement looking for it.

It shared a tank with 2 convict fish. One day one of the convicts disappeared. We figured it jumped out. The next week, the other one disappeared and the frog looked like a pingpong ball. It was one well fed frog.

It lived for around 12 years as I recall, in a tank all by itself since it kept eating its tank mates, including another frog.
dmagerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

My ADF's would jump out of the water and my dog found them too. He's a 250lb+ dog and I thought he would squish it but he just sat and barked at it to let me know.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote