6.6 Gallon Bookshelf tank journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

6.6 Gallon Bookshelf tank journal

I Decided to start a journal on this tank since im going to take my time. I bought this tank used from a member on the forum and it was suppose to be for my girlfriend's dwarf puffer fish, but since she is happy with the 10 gallon then im going to turn it into a CRS or PFR shrimp tank.
Originally i was going to turn the tank into a Iwagumi tank , and i have some perfect rock for the job but whilst looking for the rock today i came across a great piece of driftwood that fits perfect for this tank.
The driftwood is soaking in a Vinegar/water mix at the moment, tomorrow i will soak it in a Hydrogen Peroxide bath before finally scrubbing it with a brush and then throwing it in the dishwasher (when my girlfriend is at work)
The tank will go through a dry start for maybe 4-5 weeks to help the plants root and hopefully grow fuller
Tank: 6.6 gallon
Substrate : Pool filter sand with O+ tabs
Lighting:24" Finnex
C02: Paintball setup
Plants:HC, Fissiden, Ludwiga Red, Hygro. A

DAY 1

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme

Last edited by stevenjohn21; 05-03-2013 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: spelling
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

nice looking hardscape - goodluck getting it all setup and flooded
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Ok plants are in and waiting to grow !
I dont know what to put in the far right corner, any ideas ? At the moment i have Hygrophilia Corymbosa needle leaf but i know its going to get to big and look "clumsy" so i need thoughts.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 AM   #4
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Its been 2 weeks and the growth has been good. Not sure on which LED fixture to get, so until then it will stay dry :-(

Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

This is a great looking tank. I have heard that there are some cheap LEDs by beamworks on ebay which have worked for quite a few members but I have no experience with them.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy199413 View Post
This is a great looking tank. I have heard that there are some cheap LEDs by beamworks on ebay which have worked for quite a few members but I have no experience with them.
Thanks, i just had a quick look and they seem good for the money, however with 3 options im a little confused as which one to get. The tank is so shallow that im scared it will be high light and cause an algae farm.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

Looks good!

I also have this tank. For lighting I took off the rim of the tank and am running 3 of the fluval compact flourescent lamps (13 watts each). They are relatively cheap lamps (25.00 on amazon) and have worked well for me. My DHG grows great under them I would prefer a single fixture, but had trouble finding something that fit the tank and had good enough lighting.
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Its been a wwhile since i updated this tank. I have changed it around a little as the tank is way too small to play with so many different plant species. I decided to go the asy maintenance route, so i only went with 4 plants. I had to cut a piece of driftwood off because the Hydrocoytle was going crazy ! I was trimming it every 2 days lol

Anyway here is the most recent picture, its a little cloudy due to changing the water.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
MichaelMcG
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

nice 6.6! makes me a little embarrassed to post a pic of mine lol but then again mine is low tech
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Vepr
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice, I want to try a dry start on my next project. Who makes that tank and what are the dimensions?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
MichaelMcG
Planted Member

Default 6.6 Gallon Bookshelf tank journal

It's made by petco. Dims are about 23.5 wide. 9 high (12 high including stock light). 7.5 deep. Petco has them for 50 bucks I think comes with a decent hob filter and t8 fixture
Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
Vepr
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMcG View Post
It's made by petco. Dims are about 23.5 wide. 9 high (12 high including stock light). 7.5 deep. Petco has them for 50 bucks I think comes with a decent hob filter and t8 fixture
Thanks for the information. I was thinking of working with a 12 gallon long as my next project but the 6.6 might be a better option for my space limitations.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #13
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepr View Post
Thanks for the information. I was thinking of working with a 12 gallon long as my next project but the 6.6 might be a better option for my space limitations.
A 12 gallon will be my next project i think, but if you have space limitations then you cant go wrong with this tank.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:20 AM   #14
MichaelMcG
Planted Member

Default 6.6 Gallon Bookshelf tank journal

I love the tank. Only thing I don't like is it plastic so scratches easily. If you need to scrape the inside use a credit card and be careful.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #15
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMcG View Post
I love the tank. Only thing I don't like is it plastic so scratches easily. If you need to scrape the inside use a credit card and be careful.
I use a Mr Clean magic eraser, cleans any crud off without scratching :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.