Gold Barbs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

Gold Barbs

Ok so here I am trying to stock my tank with a colorful school of fish. I thought I had it narrowed down to Gold Barbs, but then heard some rumors:

1. They eat plants...is this true? I have a heavily planted tank and really, REALLY don't want anyone munching on my babies...

2. They are fin nippers...I know this is typical of barbs but thought that Gold Barbs were the exception to this rule. Not the case? Or are they nippers, just not as bad as Tiger Barbs? I plan on getting about 9 for my 30g.

3. They don't do well with long-fin fishes such as Bettas. Yes or no?

In your experiences/ opinions is any of this true? What are their general temperments? Already in the tank is:

Betta
German Blue Ram
2 Cory Cats
Golden Zebra Loach

They would be one of the last fish added other than some algae eaters when the tank builds up a bit of it...

Oh and one more thing, are they more shoalers or schoolers? Thanks!
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

I got one with a shoal of Cory cats. He didn't last long alone, but I never saw any lude behaviour. In fact, I've only ever read good things about the fish.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
brainwavepc.com
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

I have 8 big ones in my 125g. they never nip, never bother plants, and are not aggressive towards fry or my gourami fins.

mine schoal and school sometimes.
brainwavepc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
jart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwavepc.com View Post
I have 8 big ones in my 125g. they never nip, never bother plants, and are not aggressive towards fry or my gourami fins.

mine schoal and school sometimes.
+1. Great community fish. Very interesting behaviour at times.Highly recommended.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Are these the same as green barbs? I thought I read somewhere that gold barbs in the wild are actually green or slightly green colored....can anyone confirm?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

After reading your posts I just bought 9 of them and WOW my tank is active! They look fantastic! Thanks!
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
micheljq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello,

I had bad luck with gold barbs. I kept nine in a 20H tank. Later learned they grow 8cm in length, even 10cm in the wild. On the beginning it goes fine, but when they reached 5cm problems began..

In hot pursuit against each other, they bumped into my cabombas and destroyed them. They began eating my egeria densa and when they began eating some crypts, I gave them.

If you feed them twice a day, they may leave plants alone. Also, i think my tank was too small for them.

Michel.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
Hello,

I had bad luck with gold barbs. I kept nine in a 20H tank. Later learned they grow 8cm in length, even 10cm in the wild. On the beginning it goes fine, but when they reached 5cm problems began..

In hot pursuit against each other, they bumped into my cabombas and destroyed them. They began eating my egeria densa and when they began eating some crypts, I gave them.

If you feed them twice a day, they may leave plants alone. Also, i think my tank was too small for them.

Michel.
The 9 I have are the first school I've added to my tank and EXTREMELY active. I think 9 is too much for my size of tank so I'll be taking 4 back in a day or two and evaluate the other 5 from there. They've nipped my Bettas fins (separated him) and if hungry will nip at my snails. Both times its been the larger Barbs doing the nipping so the small ones may be ok for a time, but I'll still need to keep an eye on them. They're leaving my plants alone (for now).
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
starthief
Algae Grower

I've just added 5 gold barbs and 3 male cobra guppies to my 38g, which had 8 CW010 cories and 6 panda cories.

In the store, the gold barbs and cobra guppies were all schooling together. In my tank, the gold barbs have joined the panda cory tribe -- they follow each other around peacfully, "sit" together, dart up and down the side of the tank together, and eat together. It's cute, but kind of surprising; it's like I have 19 bottom dwellers and 3 top dwellers in my tank, instead of 14 and 8 like I expected.
starthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

As noted above, Gold Barbs get too big for these mid-sized tanks. They were great in my 45 gallon (4' long) tank. Plenty of room for active fish in there. I would not want to try them in smaller tanks, except for a short quarantine period.
And reducing the size of the school is not how to fix the problem.

Puntius semifasciolatus may also be called Green Barb. This is the wild type, not often available for aquariums.
P. semifasciolatus 'Shubertii' is more definitely Gold, with some black markings. This is the one that is most commonly kept in aquariums. They are cooler water tropical fish. They are OK in a room temperature tank.

For a 30 gallon, I would stick with fish that do not get larger than about 2", maybe 3" if they are a less active fish.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
Dr Fishbait
Algae Grower

My experience with Gold Barbs was not pleasant. They are voracious eaters and the other species in my community tank didn't have a chance. They ate themselves to obesity and where never satisfied. They are PIGS. They did not nip at others in my tank. I brought them back to my LFS. GOOD RIDENCE.
Dr Fishbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
Dr Fishbait
Algae Grower

Oh! By the way. I LOVE my Cherry Barbs. Great fish.
Dr Fishbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #13
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fishbait View Post
My experience with Gold Barbs was not pleasant. They are voracious eaters and the other species in my community tank didn't have a chance. They ate themselves to obesity and where never satisfied. They are PIGS. They did not nip at others in my tank. I brought them back to my LFS. GOOD RIDENCE.
I had Rosy Barbs 2m/2f which were active also but they were super duper "GREEDY"! I eventually re-homed! Now other tank members can eat without rushing/darting!
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote