flood light LED's - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #151
discgo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Where would I wire in a dimmer if I chose to add one? Does it go in between the driver and the led or between the driver and the power input. What kind of potentiometer would I need to make this happen? I am thinking about using multiple led flood lights in a single hood with the ability to turn up or down individual sections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #152
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Unless that glass is tinted in some way it is unlikely to reduce the intensity of the light by more than about 10%. And, the 1/8" thickness is about as thin as it could be and still provide any protection for the LED. But, my DIY LED light has no splash shield at all, and it sits less than 2 inches above the water. It has been in use for about 2 years, with no problems.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #153
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

You can't dim that particular LED light with any kind of dimmer. You would need to have a dimmable LED driver to be able to dim it. You dim LEDs by reducing the current through them. Even a resistor wouldn't dim the light.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #154
thecatisontheloose

What configuration of led floodlights can anyone recommend for a 140 Gal tank? I am looking for medium light, dimensions are 5 feet length by 18 inches width and 22 inches height. There's a bar in the middle so it'll make more sense to work with an even number of fixtures. 2x50W? 4x30W? 2x70W? Also, those things look heavy, where can i get secure mounting hardware?

Thanks,
Kat.
thecatisontheloose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #155
discgo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Unless that glass is tinted in some way it is unlikely to reduce the intensity of the light by more than about 10%. And, the 1/8" thickness is about as thin as it could be and still provide any protection for the LED. But, my DIY LED light has no splash shield at all, and it sits less than 2 inches above the water. It has been in use for about 2 years, with no problems.
I figured the glass wasn't all that necessary unless you wanted to keep the unit "waterproof". Even if it was a ten percent increase that would be a free upgrade that could be done by anyone who can remove four screws. I would love to see someone with a par meter pop out the glass and take some readings to see what the difference actually is.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #156
discgo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatisontheloose View Post
What configuration of led floodlights can anyone recommend for a 140 Gal tank? I am looking for medium light, dimensions are 5 feet length by 18 inches width and 22 inches height. There's a bar in the middle so it'll make more sense to work with an even number of fixtures. 2x50W? 4x30W? 2x70W? Also, those things look heavy, where can i get secure mounting hardware?

Thanks,
Kat.
I think they come with mounting brackets.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #157
Turtlemaxxx
Algae Grower

I have a 10w and I just got a 30w today! something was rattling around so I took off the back and..... the driver was attached with 1 screw and 2-sided tape that was stapled to the heat sink. removed the garbage and tested it. still works but lesser quality than my 10w from a different ebayer. I will have to secure it in a more proper manner. The 30w looks the same inside as the 10w, just bigger.

The Fraternity of Dirt #111
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
25 gallon dirty
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192749
Turtlemaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #158
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Aaaaaaaand this is why I really would have liked an ebay item # as I asked above....even in private if it seems likely to be seen as unacceptable to the mods...which I don't quite understand but will honor.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #159
discgo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Aaaaaaaand this is why I really would have liked an ebay item # as I asked above....even in private if it seems likely to be seen as unacceptable to the mods...which I don't quite understand but will honor.
I went to ebay for you and typed in "10w led flood light" like I mentioned earlier. The first thing that popped up (item #190725107032) was the same style light as this thread is about. You will have to select the wattage, voltage, and color temp for yourself but the drop down menus make it easy.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #160
Strgazr
Algae Grower

Quote:
If I could find a single-LED type mogul base lightbulb in the 20w range I'd jump on it. I don't seem to have any luck finding them though. Apparently there isn't much of a market for them (yet). If anyone spots something like this, let me know.
Try searching for E39 base instead of mogul. There are a couple out there, but very expensive still. There are also E27 and E28 to E39 adapters, and the E27/28 bulbs are easier to find and don't cost as much.
Strgazr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #161
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgo View Post
I went to ebay for you and typed in "10w led flood light" like I mentioned earlier. The first thing that popped up (item #190725107032) was the same style light as this thread is about. You will have to select the wattage, voltage, and color temp for yourself but the drop down menus make it easy.
Thanks. Just confirming that those particular lights are what you're holding in your hand in the pix. That's all I was asking.

Cheers mate - hope I didn't irritate you too much.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #162
discgo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks. Just confirming that those particular lights are what you're holding in your hand in the pix. That's all I was asking.

Cheers mate - hope I didn't irritate you too much.
No those weren't the one i tore apart. Those are the first to come up when I searched using the terms i mentioned.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #163
Kelbrina
Algae Grower

So I ordered this led floodlight for a 10 gallon and I know I need to attach it to a power cord but I am unsure how. I have a few 12v computer power cords lying around and I believe someone in this thread mentioned using them, but I don't really know what to do. Buy some wire strippers, strip down the plastic coating so the pieces are exposed? How do I connect them to one another and make it neat and like it's one piece? Wrap it up in electrical tape?

Any help at all would be great. Thank you!

20g Hex Community Tank | 5g CRS Tank | 10g Dwarf Puffer Tank | 20g High Community Tank x 2 | 5g Beta Tank

Last edited by Kelbrina; 02-09-2013 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: brain fart
Kelbrina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #164
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

i run two 10w leds over my standard 10g tank.

Mine arrived short corded requiring extension cords and a plug. matched the wiring colors based on function and used a wire cutter, stripper and electrical tape. To do a better job, use butt connectors and heat shrink sleeves.

i get better light coverage running two lower watt fixtures versus a single double watt one. growth over the past week hasnt slowed down significantly either.

Last edited by acitydweller; 02-11-2013 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: added info
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #165
Aeroana
Algae Grower

What do you guys think it would take to get medium light at a depth of 30"? I got a new tank and once i move will be tossing in some plants. I was thinking of just tossing a 50w about 1' above the surface.
Aeroana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.