Bamboo Shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
ric44
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Bamboo Shrimp

Was at a Petco the other day in a neighboring state and noticed they had several of these for sale in one of the tanks. Being used to looking at the smaller neos and such these were quite large some being 2in or longer. Question is why would they even stock them as they are filter feeders and would seem to be somewhat finicky and more trouble than a lot of us would care to go to ?
ric44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

I've had one for two years. He hangs onto some hornwort and filters the outflow from the tank filter. They do prefer to be in groups but he's been fine in the tank by himself. They're not cleaners by any means just cool to watch with their fans swirling around. I imagine if I had him in a tank with a sponge filter he would just sit on top of the sponge and filter the rising bubbles.
Fdsh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Unikorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

What are you feeding the bamboo shrimp? I know they are filter feeders but do you add some sort of powdered food or other additive to give the bamboo's some nutrition?

RIP20 gallon tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=223762

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post3763497
Unikorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric44 View Post
Was at a Petco the other day in a neighboring state and noticed they had several of these for sale in one of the tanks. Being used to looking at the smaller neos and such these were quite large some being 2in or longer. Question is why would they even stock them as they are filter feeders and would seem to be somewhat finicky and more trouble than a lot of us would care to go to ?
Same reason they sell non-aquatic plants under water.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

I have other fish in the tank so I'm sure he grabs some flake when it goes by. I occasionally catch him fanning over the vegetable sticks but that's not that often
Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

I haven't kept them in my own tanks, but quite a number of folks I've helped set up tanks for--generally a typical chain store shopper who's killed dozens of tanks worth of fish--have proudly shown one of these off to me as their "awesome" impulse purchase and then asked how to care for it.

They're surprisingly un-finicky. With good water parameters, someplace in the current to sit and feed (I've had to help re-scape a couple tanks to ensure there's a good perch or two in an area with strong water movement) and adequate shelter for molting, they've done very well.

A well established planted tank can often support one without any supplemental feeding. If extra feeding is needed, the easiest method is to crush whatever regular food is already being fed in the tank (algae wafer, fish flake, freeze-dried 'live' foods, etc) into a fine powder, mix with water and either introduce generally into the tank or use a pipette to squirt it directly into the flow where they're feeding. Fry foods or those intended to bring along baby shrimp work great too.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
TidBitz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have had a bamboo in my tank for quite some time now, she is 3 in in length, she filters the left over food and she fans the plants.
TidBitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Unikorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Wow that is really neat Do you think bamboo's can go in a tank together with RCS?

RIP20 gallon tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=223762

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post3763497
Unikorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
ric44
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
I haven't kept them in my own tanks, but quite a number of folks I've helped set up tanks for--generally a typical chain store shopper who's killed dozens of tanks worth of fish--have proudly shown one of these off to me as their "awesome" impulse purchase and then asked how to care for it.

They're surprisingly un-finicky. With good water parameters, someplace in the current to sit and feed (I've had to help re-scape a couple tanks to ensure there's a good perch or two in an area with strong water movement) and adequate shelter for molting, they've done very well.

A well established planted tank can often support one without any supplemental feeding. If extra feeding is needed, the easiest method is to crush whatever regular food is already being fed in the tank (algae wafer, fish flake, freeze-dried 'live' foods, etc) into a fine powder, mix with water and either introduce generally into the tank or use a pipette to squirt it directly into the flow where they're feeding. Fry foods or those intended to bring along baby shrimp work great too.
Well I do like the looks of them but hesitated to buy them as I wasnt sure they would make it without special care. Your experience with them makes me want to try a couple.
ric44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
abc
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

my concern has always been the fertilizing regime. in my planted tank I follow the EI index method. Aren't bamboo shrimp sensitive to nitrates?

Anyone know how they compare to other shrimp (cherry, etc). If bamboo shrimp are heartier than cherry shrimp, then yes, I would like to give one or two a try. But if they are more sensitive to fertilizers than cherry shrimp, then I would hesitate to get one.

any thoughts on the effect of fertilizers on bamboo shrimp?
abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

I heavily fertilize and use metricide in the tank my bamboo shrimp is in. I have seen no issues with my bamboo shrimp.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
abc
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

awesome! I have room in my tank and would love to get one...
abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
tsonnenl
Algae Grower

I've had two in my 75g for more than a year now. They're perched on a piece of driftwood near a powerhead, and filter morning, noon, and night. No supplemental feedings needed.
tsonnenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I love my bamboo shrimp.

Gets along fine with neos, cardinals, snails, everything. I don't feed him anything special at all, he looks very healthy and fans all the time. On the rare occasion my water gets too clean for the bamboo shrimp, I will see him walking around on the bottom picking around in the substrate. Then, I just take a few pieces of Ken's Veg Sticks w Calcium (what I feed the neos, grind them up in my hand, and drop them in to cloud the tank ever so slightly. He's in bamboo shrimp heaven for a day or so.

For me, easy to keep.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #15
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

I'm confident alot of forum members could keep them, but most Petco shoppers don't have the knowledge that the forum members do and these shrimp unfortunately don't live very long.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote