Upgrading Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
jack25
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Upgrading Tank

We currently have a regular 10 gallon tank we got from Petco that is 20" long and my wife has been great at maintaining it. The plants are flourishing becasue we recently got the Finnex Fugeray and we've been injecting CO2. Currently, we are running the Finnex P360 canister filter.

I was thinking about upgrading to a 20 gallon but hopefully to one where I can still use the Fugeray. We have the 20" Fugeray. Also, I was hoping to not have to upgrade the filter either.

Do you guys think it's possible to retain our current equipment? What tanks would you guys suggest?
jack25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

It depends on which type of 20 you're getting. 20 L or 20 H? The fuge ray definitely won't fit on either of them and if you get a 20H you may want to upgrade it to something a little more powerful to get light down to the bottom of the tank (otherwise I'd suggest finding a way to suspend it if you don't mind 2 inches on each side getting very very little light due to the length difference).
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
jack25
Algae Grower

I was looking at the 17.5 gallon and it is 24" in length so it's a little bit longer than the 20" Fugeray that we have. i think I can adapt the moveable legs to fit. I guess I should have gotten the Ray2.

The rimless look is pretty neat.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
exv152
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wink

What about a new light and filter for the new tank? That way you have two tanks instead of just one to enjoy.
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack25 View Post
I was looking at the 17.5 gallon and it is 24" in length so it's a little bit longer than the 20" Fugeray that we have. i think I can adapt the moveable legs to fit. I guess I should have gotten the Ray2.

The rimless look is pretty neat.
The output of the px360 probably won't cut it for that size of a tank. So I think you will need to upgrade your filter as well (just go with an HOB). As for your lighting I'd go with a Ray 2. It also all depends on your plants. If you just have Anubias and java fern... Well keep the old fixture.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
jack25
Algae Grower

We have java ferns, rotola colorata, either Taiwan Moss or Christmas Moss, riccia, Amazonian swords and Amazonian frogbits. I guess these plants do not need crazy amount of light.

Another rimless tank I was looking into is a 15 gallon one from CAD Lights and Aquarium, Zen Series. This is not that much bigger than the 10 gallons we have right now so I think I can still use the old equipment.

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=229
Old 02-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
jack25
Algae Grower

Default Re: Upgrading Tank

I just picked up a generic 15 gallon rim less tank from a local fish store. Came out to $30. I'm going to add some silicone to it just in case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I just picked up a generic 15 gallon rim less tank from a local fish store. Came out to $30. I'm going to add some silicone to it just in case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Nice looking tank! I think your plant stock should work with your fuge ray still, congrats! If you run into problems you can add a T5 strip light to make up for the new water volume.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

That is a nice tank. Where did you pick it up? What are the dimensions?
rozdaboff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
jack25
Algae Grower

The store is on Utica Av. in Brooklyn. Nice people. I don't know if the store got anymore of the 15 gallons becasue we bought the last one. The dimensions are 20" wide, 13 something tall and 13 something deep.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Cool - thanks! Did they have other sizes/styles of rimless?
rozdaboff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
jack25
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozdaboff View Post
Cool - thanks! Did they have other sizes/styles of rimless?
Yes, but the selection wasn't that huge. I think they had a whole bunch of maybe 8 gallon rimless tanks. I am not sure of the size but they weren't as wide as the 15 gallon that I bought. Usually 10 gallon tanks are 20" wide (like the 15 gallon that i bought). The smaller ones they had were not as wide.

If you are going to go, the neighborhood is a tad sketch but the people in the store were really cool. The name of the store is New Island Aquarium. Here's there website.

http://www.newislandaquarium.com/
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Yes, but the selection wasn't that huge. I think they had a whole bunch of maybe 8 gallon rimless tanks. I am not sure of the size but they weren't as wide as the 15 gallon that I bought. Usually 10 gallon tanks are 20" wide (like the 15 gallon that i bought). The smaller ones they had were not as wide.

If you are going to go, the neighborhood is a tad sketch but the people in the store were really cool. The name of the store is New Island Aquarium. Here's there website.

http://www.newislandaquarium.com/
That's a great deal for a 15g rimless. I wonder if they can ship.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
jack25
Algae Grower

Our shipment of ADA Aqua Soil came in Thursday but we didn't get it set up until this morning because the wife and I went up to the mountains for a little snowboarding action. Set up of the Aqua Soil wasn't as bad as I expected. People were saying how their set ups became tanks of mud. Ours was a tad cloudy but after a few hours, it more or less settled. Ammonia is about 1 ppm but that is to be expected. I will upload some pics later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.