betta tank mates - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
ZLogic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I kept a halfmoon with 5 ember tetras and 5 panda cories in a 10g with no trouble.
ZLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #17
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes HotrodPrincess, the corydoras will stay at the bottom. This question reminded me of something very important. They have barbels on their mouths to sift through sand for food. That is soething I didn't think to mention before suggesting them. If they are kept in a tank with gravel, sadly their barbels will get warn down which leads to death. I had mine with gravel and was told this very same thing. I thought mine looked fine and kept them in the gravel anyway. Then, sure enough, found one dead. Poor thing had no barbels! So, I changed from gravel to sand, and the younger ones grew their barbels back, but the older ones never did.
Just something to keep in mind.
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #18
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Yes HotrodPrincess, the corydoras will stay at the bottom. This question reminded me of something very important. They have barbels on their mouths to sift through sand for food. That is soething I didn't think to mention before suggesting them. If they are kept in a tank with gravel, sadly their barbels will get warn down which leads to death. I had mine with gravel and was told this very same thing. I thought mine looked fine and kept them in the gravel anyway. Then, sure enough, found one dead. Poor thing had no barbels! So, I changed from gravel to sand, and the younger ones grew their barbels back, but the older ones never did.
Just something to keep in mind.
thank you very much for the information i happen to have black sand in our tank so we shouldn't have a problem.
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Perfect!!!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

Quote:
Perfect!!!!!
we have made a list of the suggested fish and we will see what we can find at our two pet stores neither one seems to have much of a selection. Hopefully we will be able to find some cool little guys to put in our tank. Not sure if i can find any cool colored shrimp so we may end up with ghost or cherry shrimp.

We are going to wait a couple weeks before adding any more livestock to the tank just to be sure there are no problems with the new tank. thank you everyone for the great suggestions
Old 11-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
Repteel
Algae Grower

I'm doing good with panda garra, otos, cherry shrimp,lampeye killis, and hockeystick pencil fish. The betta was added last, not sure if that helps or not.
Repteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #22
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good luck! I look forward to hearing what you decide on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodprincess View Post
we have made a list of the suggested fish and we will see what we can find at our two pet stores neither one seems to have much of a selection. Hopefully we will be able to find some cool little guys to put in our tank. Not sure if i can find any cool colored shrimp so we may end up with ghost or cherry shrimp.

We are going to wait a couple weeks before adding any more livestock to the tank just to be sure there are no problems with the new tank. thank you everyone for the great suggestions
Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

Quote:
Good luck! I look forward to hearing what you decide on.
We have decided on getting 5pigmy corys 3 endlers and a few cherry shrimp. We have a couple pet stores in town so I am hoping one of them will have what we want.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #24
SouthernGorilla
Algae Grower

We have two albino and one peppered cory in our ten-gallon. There has never been a hint of trouble. You might want to reconsider the cherry shrimp. Our betta chased the ones we had. We never saw him kill any. But we no longer have any cherry shrimp. Could be a coincidence. He doesn't bother the ghost shrimp though. He doesn't even seem to notice the apple snails. So there's another option to consider.
SouthernGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower

The shrimp are a may be I like the cherry shrimp but the girls want ghost shrimp we will see if we can even find any so far we havent spotted any shrimp of any kind at out pet stores. We are going to start with the corys and then add the endlers in a few weeks.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
goobypls
Algae Grower

I keep my Veil Tail in a 10g with 5 White Cloud Minnows. He chased them around a bit at first but now he leaves them alone all together. I have plenty of floating plants for my Beta to swim in, as well as small rock caves. He spends a good deal of time exploring while the minnows spend their time swimming in the filter current. The WCM were quite young when I bought them and now they are about an inch size. So far so good
goobypls is offline   Reply With Quote