betta tank mates - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
ZLogic
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 408
Default

I kept a halfmoon with 5 ember tetras and 5 panda cories in a 10g with no trouble.
ZLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #17
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Yes HotrodPrincess, the corydoras will stay at the bottom. This question reminded me of something very important. They have barbels on their mouths to sift through sand for food. That is soething I didn't think to mention before suggesting them. If they are kept in a tank with gravel, sadly their barbels will get warn down which leads to death. I had mine with gravel and was told this very same thing. I thought mine looked fine and kept them in the gravel anyway. Then, sure enough, found one dead. Poor thing had no barbels! So, I changed from gravel to sand, and the younger ones grew their barbels back, but the older ones never did.
Just something to keep in mind.
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #18
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower
 
hotrodprincess's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Yes HotrodPrincess, the corydoras will stay at the bottom. This question reminded me of something very important. They have barbels on their mouths to sift through sand for food. That is soething I didn't think to mention before suggesting them. If they are kept in a tank with gravel, sadly their barbels will get warn down which leads to death. I had mine with gravel and was told this very same thing. I thought mine looked fine and kept them in the gravel anyway. Then, sure enough, found one dead. Poor thing had no barbels! So, I changed from gravel to sand, and the younger ones grew their barbels back, but the older ones never did.
Just something to keep in mind.
thank you very much for the information i happen to have black sand in our tank so we shouldn't have a problem.
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Perfect!!!!!
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower
 
hotrodprincess's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Perfect!!!!!
we have made a list of the suggested fish and we will see what we can find at our two pet stores neither one seems to have much of a selection. Hopefully we will be able to find some cool little guys to put in our tank. Not sure if i can find any cool colored shrimp so we may end up with ghost or cherry shrimp.

We are going to wait a couple weeks before adding any more livestock to the tank just to be sure there are no problems with the new tank. thank you everyone for the great suggestions
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
Repteel
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 41
Default

I'm doing good with panda garra, otos, cherry shrimp,lampeye killis, and hockeystick pencil fish. The betta was added last, not sure if that helps or not.
Repteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #22
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

Good luck! I look forward to hearing what you decide on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodprincess View Post
we have made a list of the suggested fish and we will see what we can find at our two pet stores neither one seems to have much of a selection. Hopefully we will be able to find some cool little guys to put in our tank. Not sure if i can find any cool colored shrimp so we may end up with ghost or cherry shrimp.

We are going to wait a couple weeks before adding any more livestock to the tank just to be sure there are no problems with the new tank. thank you everyone for the great suggestions
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower
 
hotrodprincess's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Good luck! I look forward to hearing what you decide on.
We have decided on getting 5pigmy corys 3 endlers and a few cherry shrimp. We have a couple pet stores in town so I am hoping one of them will have what we want.
__________________
Julie Mommy of Two Girls
Building a 10gal Home Schooling project tank
Donations are always welcome.
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #24
SouthernGorilla
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 96
Default

We have two albino and one peppered cory in our ten-gallon. There has never been a hint of trouble. You might want to reconsider the cherry shrimp. Our betta chased the ones we had. We never saw him kill any. But we no longer have any cherry shrimp. Could be a coincidence. He doesn't bother the ghost shrimp though. He doesn't even seem to notice the apple snails. So there's another option to consider.
SouthernGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
hotrodprincess
Algae Grower
 
hotrodprincess's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 116
Default

The shrimp are a may be I like the cherry shrimp but the girls want ghost shrimp we will see if we can even find any so far we havent spotted any shrimp of any kind at out pet stores. We are going to start with the corys and then add the endlers in a few weeks.
__________________
Julie Mommy of Two Girls
Building a 10gal Home Schooling project tank
Donations are always welcome.
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
goobypls
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: sacramento
Posts: 6
Default

I keep my Veil Tail in a 10g with 5 White Cloud Minnows. He chased them around a bit at first but now he leaves them alone all together. I have plenty of floating plants for my Beta to swim in, as well as small rock caves. He spends a good deal of time exploring while the minnows spend their time swimming in the filter current. The WCM were quite young when I bought them and now they are about an inch size. So far so good
goobypls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012