Help identitying collected deadwood (56k warning)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Help identitying collected deadwood (56k warning)

So I got the bug to check the woods areas behind my apartment today, with all the heavy winds we've been having. The thing is, I have no idea where they came from and if they would be safe my aquariums. I'm going to post up some pics, hopefully someone here could help out?

I'm going to make some trimmings and combine some things but these are grouped as to where I found them, all lying in a single area.

Wood #1

Wood #2

Wood #3:

Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looks kinda like cherry tree or maybe oak hard to tell by back alone. If you could figure out what trees they came off of or find fallen leaves in the same area we could make a better guess. Either way it will be aquarium safe once you get it cleaned up. It's definitely not from any tree type you should be worried about.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Thanks for the reply, that's good news. I don't know if I could even find the spot I picked this up at, the area is pretty dense and right now you can't step on anything but fallen wood and leaves so it's pretty jumbled.

I hadn't gotten any replies so I went ahead and prepped the wood from the 3rd set. Soaked for a few days, put it in the oven for 2 hours at 250. Soaked again for a day then into the tank.

Seems to be working well. I anchored it to keep it down and after some trimming it looks like this:

still needs to be adjusted and centered a bit but I couldn't get it anchored anywhere else. So it's got to wait until it fully sinks.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by le0p View Post
Thanks for the reply, that's good news. I don't know if I could even find the spot I picked this up at, the area is pretty dense and right now you can't step on anything but fallen wood and leaves so it's pretty jumbled.

I hadn't gotten any replies so I went ahead and prepped the wood from the 3rd set. Soaked for a few days, put it in the oven for 2 hours at 250. Soaked again for a day then into the tank.

Seems to be working well. I anchored it to keep it down and after some trimming it looks like this:

still needs to be adjusted and centered a bit but I couldn't get it anchored anywhere else. So it's got to wait until it fully sinks.

Thanks again for the help!
Yeh the 3rd set looks like oak to me so I'm sure you're fine. Nice jungle of plants you got there.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote