Micro Swords
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Micro Swords

I went out on a limb yesterday and bought some Micro Swords for my low-tech setup. I was wondering if this will do alright in there. I tried planting them in the most lit part of my aquarium. I have a 55 gallon, with Dual T8 6,500K bulbs. I do dose ferts and have root tabs also. Here are the ferts I dose and how much.

Mon:
Seachem Equilibrium

Tues:
K2SO4 1/8 tsp
KNO3 1/2 tsp
KH2PO4 1/8 tsp

Wed:
CSM+B 1/8 tsp

Thurs:
Seachem Flourish

Sun:
Water Changes

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Hi Cinbos,

Per one of Hoppy's earlier charts I looks like you would have a PAR reading of about 10 per bulb/lamp at a 19" depth (allowing for 2" of substrate) for a total of PAR reading of about 20 - definitely low light. Please report your results so others can learn.

If you have trouble growing Micro Swords (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) you might try a couple of my favorite low light foreground plants; Marsilea minuta and Pygmy Chain Sword (Helanthium tenellum previously Echinodorus tenellus).

Marsilea minuta

Helanthium tenellum (previously Echinodorus tenellus)

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Cinbos,

Per one of Hoppy's earlier charts I looks like you would have a PAR reading of about 10 per bulb/lamp at a 19" depth (allowing for 2" of substrate) for a total of PAR reading of about 20 - definitely low light. Please report your results so others can learn.

If you have trouble growing Micro Swords (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) you might try a couple of my favorite low light foreground plants; Marsilea minuta and Pygmy Chain Sword (Helanthium tenellum previously Echinodorus tenellus).

Marsilea minuta

Helanthium tenellum (previously Echinodorus tenellus)
Ok, I currently have pygmies in there. Some leaves seem to have some sort of defficency so I am working changing my ferts around. I will keep everyone posted.

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default Micro Swords

I've done microsword in lowlight-highlight tanks. doesnt seem to need CO2. it takes off like a weed in highlight
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I noticed that microsword only needs root tabs and some moderate light. You might be fine, but I'd definitely put root tabs right under the plant and it grows like wildfire. Give a nice haircut every once in a while as well! Good luck.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote