CRS for Fluval Spec
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Timma
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

CRS for Fluval Spec

I've got a 2.5 gallon Fluval Spec that I've had running for about 4 weeks. Water parameters are perfect now and I'm about to stock it with CRS. How many are safe with this size tank? Here's a pic of the tank below. This is a bit of an older pic now and the plants are starting to get a little bigger already. Thanks for any advice!

Timma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

I'd say you'll be safe with 10 - 15.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default CRS for Fluval Spec

I don't find mine is 2.5 gallons.. Far under actually. But that's not the question at hand.

I'd start with 8-10. That way you have room for juvies to grow if they choose to breed lol.

In reality, you can fit up to 20+ adults. But it isn't ideal.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool setup. I'm having hard time finding Fluval Spec 3. The light suppose to be better.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
Timma
Algae Grower

Got 10 from the LFS yesterday. Unfortunately I had one die this morning, but the rest are doing great.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
genetao
Planted Member

PTrader: (44/100%)

I had 10 CRS in a 1.5 gallon tank sitting on my desk at work and they bred. Got as many as 30 juvies before I sold them to Ocean Aquarium in SF.

The key was keeping the water clean by using fast growing stem plants like hornwort with medium/high lighting. That kept the nitrates at near undetectable levels.

So my guess is in a 2.5 gal, you could keep like 40 adults, but you'd have to make sure that you either do water changes often, or keep fast growing stem plants.

Last edited by genetao; 01-31-2013 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: More info
genetao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
Timma
Algae Grower

Default CRS for Fluval Spec

The tank is a low tech setup and I want to keep it that way since its at work and I can spend too much time on it. I'm doing 30% water changes weekly so I'm hoping that will be good enough to keep things clean enough. Should I be doing water changes twice a week? I'm also dosing a 1/4 ML of excel about 3 time a week. I've read horror stories about excel and shrimp, but I think that's a low enough dose for a 2 1/2 gallon. I want the plants to fill in a bit more.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #8
genetao
Planted Member

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timma View Post
The tank is a low tech setup and I want to keep it that way since its at work and I can spend too much time on it. I'm doing 30% water changes weekly so I'm hoping that will be good enough to keep things clean enough. Should I be doing water changes twice a week?
I can't honestly comment on if 30% WC is going to be sufficient. I'd guess so, but the only real way to tell is to do a nitrate test at the end of the week BEFORE a water change. If the nitrate levels is below 10 PPM, then a 30% WC should be fine. But if the nitrate levels is higher than 10 PPM, then a 30% WC probably wouldn't be enough.

Then right after the WC is completed, do a second nitrate test to see what the difference is. Do this for a couple of weeks and see where the nitrates are at. That's the only real way to know. I always aimed for nitrate levels of 5 PPM or less for CRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timma View Post
I'm also dosing a 1/4 ML of excel about 3 time a week. I've read horror stories about excel and shrimp, but I think that's a low enough dose for a 2 1/2 gallon. I want the plants to fill in a bit more.
I used to dose with Excel too, and the CRS bred, and the shrimplets did just fine. But I made sure to dose at half the recommended strength. When I did though, the shrimp went crazy, just like they did when they smelled food. But if shrimplets survive and breed, then I don't see why it would be a problem.
genetao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
Timma
Algae Grower

Picked up a few more today. Got some cherries and what I believe to be some Orange Sakura's. Things are looking pretty good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.