Ghost shrimp coloration
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
SouthernGorilla
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ghost shrimp coloration

We bought ghost shrimp from a couple of the big chain pet stores. They seem to thrive in our tank and they do an adequate job of cleaning the debris. A few of them have become fairly large. But I'm most curious about the coloration some of them are developing. It's not an overall color, they are still mostly clear. But they are showing orange/brown stripes down their sides and along the edges of their tails. I'll try to get some pictures this evening. I just wondered if anybody else had seen ghost shrimp do this.

I thought it might be caused by something they are eating. But that should cause their entire shell to show color. I also wondered if maybe it has something to do with their age or size. I haven't seen any mention anywhere of tiger-striped ghost shrimp.
SouthernGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

It's not at all uncommon for ghost shrimp, especially older females, to show spots and streaks of color: orange, red and brown being the most common.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
SouthernGorilla
Algae Grower

Interesting. Would that be considered an accurate way to sex shrimp?

It's odd how some shrimp thrive in our tank while others disappear. We've bought more than twenty ghost shrimp. But we only have seven in the tank. I had thought the coloration might mean the remaining shrimp were a different species and that explained why they survived.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (403/100%)

The easiest way would be to post some clear photos of your shrimp. Then other members can help explain what gender they are.

That said - Ghost Shrimp can be several different species and are often confused with Amano Shrimp by some big box stores.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGorilla View Post
Interesting. Would that be considered an accurate way to sex shrimp?

It's odd how some shrimp thrive in our tank while others disappear. We've bought more than twenty ghost shrimp. But we only have seven in the tank. I had thought the coloration might mean the remaining shrimp were a different species and that explained why they survived.
Ghost shrimp can and will kill each other, so that may explain your problem, the ghost shrimp I had would display lines of orange on their tail once they reached about 1"
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default Ghost shrimp coloration

true ghost shrimps have several orange markings. one stripe on each antennae, two dots on the tail, and one stripe on each claw. They are non aggressive. if they try to kill each other or attack fish, you may have accidentally gotten a macrobrachum.
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (123/100%)

Don't know how to ID it, but +1 to macro possibility.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
true ghost shrimps have several orange markings. one stripe on each antennae, two dots on the tail, and one stripe on each claw. They are non aggressive. if they try to kill each other or attack fish, you may have accidentally gotten a macrobrachum.

Guess mine are true because the have all that.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
SouthernGorilla
Algae Grower

I had just assumed ghost shrimp stayed clear. The coloration makes them even more interesting to watch.

I seriously hope we don't have any macros. Our favorite LFS had one they kept in a Rubbermaid tub. It was bigger than any crayfish I've ever seen. Looked like a small, clear lobster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.