Par 38 led fixtures?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-01-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
thecatisontheloose

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Par 38 led fixtures?

Hello!

I am returning to my aquarium hobby after about an 8 year hiatus. Looking to upgrade my lighting from my ancient T8 to something from this century. LED bulbs look quite intriguing. After searching endlessly on ebay and google and a few threads here, i am leaning toward purchasing a few pendant type led bulbs that can screw into a regular lamp fixture, like a par 38. Problem is that the more i research, the more confused i become about what i should get. It is all completely new to me, and time is of the essence. Can someone help me out please?

Some background: My tank is about 135 G, 5 ft long, 18 inches wide and 2 ft deep. I am planning to grow some moss and ferns on the rocks and driftwood, nothing on the ground. I am looking for enough light so that the plants can look healthy and eventually spread over the driftwood, and the aquarium looks nice and bright. I also would like to see a nice shimmering effect from the lights/water turbulence.

Like i mentioned earlier, i am leaning toward getting a few pendant par38 type led light sources. But this is where my certainty ends. How many should i get? What kind? I am hoping to strike a good balance between price and quality. Here are some options i considered.

http://www.hero-ledstore.com/par38-e...al-p-3126.html

[Ebay Link Removed]

[Ebay Link Removed]

Please help me spend my money wisely!
Thanks,

K.
thecatisontheloose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

Hi K, welcome to the Planted Tank.

FYI, we don't allow ebay links here due to possible self-promotion.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
thecatisontheloose

Thanks!
Hm, ebay is where i was hoping to find a good deal. There are just too many choices but it's hard for me to tell which is a good one.

In particular i looked at this listing, where the person was selling a 10-pack of cree led bulbs for $350 with the following specs:
CREE PAR38 LED 24W 12X2W BULB HIGH POWER 1600-1700LM NEW DIMMABLE
doesn't list Kelvins though, only vague descriptions such as "cool white".

Has anyone used these?
thecatisontheloose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I use Cree Diminble PAR38s over my 40g. See the link in my sig. line. I believe Cool white = 5K?

Do email the seller.

I highly recommend dimmible and a LED compatible dimmer switch. I got mine from HomeDepot. Also educate yourself about the light spread with a PAR38 "bulb". There are several ways to address the cone effect that light casts.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
paulrw
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Skype™ to paulrw

i bought a par38 for my nano reef from now extink nanotuners.com 3 460nm and 2 10k i think. 5-3w cree's with 60deg opticks. i paid a lot but well built and it's literaly the brightest light i've ever seen. and because it screws in any were, it's fun to blind your buddys.
paulrw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Re: Par 38 led fixtures?

I had an ad in my email today with these sellers advertising lights. I wonder what you guys think of these particular bulbs:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...684295531.html

I'm still shaky on the wattage vs par, angle and such with this type of light bulb. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.