Newbie to aquascape 60 gallon - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #16
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Question: Am I on the right track here in a possible lighting choice? Below is the light that I'd like to put on the 60G...the depth of the tank is 24 inches. I'm concerned with the light reaching the substrate...the hood is a strip containing one 48 inch 54 watt T5. There is also a model with two 54 watt T5 bulbs. I am thinking maybe 1 bulb is enough as the tank is only 15 inches wide?

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...oducts_id=1837

I want to grow easy for beginner low/moderate light plants like anubias and java fern and some of the mosses...but would like to try a sword plant or two...and some vallisneria
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Hey Saxtonhill! Welcome!!!

On the soil it is Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix (Orange front Bag)! It is what everybody is using, and has worked out well for me! You can search for threads by wkndracer, and he is who got me started with the "dirted" tanks and has most all of the info you will need on how to go about setting up a dirt tank!

On the light I think the 1 T5 HO fixture you have linked to will be more than enough to grow lower light needing plants! I has a 55g with the AH supply retro light kit with 2 T% HO bulbs in it, and it has been growing most any plant I have put into my tank! BUT I also use Compressed CO2 and light fert dosing to keep up with the 2 T5 HOs! Even with just the 1 bulb fixture you are looking at you might need to run at least a DIY CO2 setup, because the T5HO lights are quite a bit of light! BUT with the deeper 24" tank you might be OK! Maybe someone else will chime in about the T5ho and no CO2!

The Anubias, and Java fern and mosses will be just fine with the light you listed, but research on the Sword, as most of them need pretty good light, but some do fine in lower light! also the Valls should be ok too, but I learned with them they like their water to be a bit on the harder side, but so are all of the plants you have been talking about! So just don't get your water too soft!

Hope this helps Ya out some, and I have subscribed to your thread to see your tank come to life!

Good Luck!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
gt turbo
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
Hey Saxtonhill! Welcome!!!

On the soil it is Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix (Orange front Bag)! It is what everybody is using, and has worked out well for me! You can search for threads by wkndracer, and he is who got me started with the "dirted" tanks and has most all of the info you will need on how to go about setting up a dirt tank!

On the light I think the 1 T5 HO fixture you have linked to will be more than enough to grow lower light needing plants! I has a 55g with the AH supply retro light kit with 2 T% HO bulbs in it, and it has been growing most any plant I have put into my tank! BUT I also use Compressed CO2 and light fert dosing to keep up with the 2 T5 HOs! Even with just the 1 bulb fixture you are looking at you might need to run at least a DIY CO2 setup, because the T5HO lights are quite a bit of light! BUT with the deeper 24" tank you might be OK! Maybe someone else will chime in about the T5ho and no CO2!

The Anubias, and Java fern and mosses will be just fine with the light you listed, but research on the Sword, as most of them need pretty good light, but some do fine in lower light! also the Valls should be ok too, but I learned with them they like their water to be a bit on the harder side, but so are all of the plants you have been talking about! So just don't get your water too soft!

Hope this helps Ya out some, and I have subscribed to your thread to see your tank come to life!

Good Luck!
Drew
Hi SaxtonHill,

I'd second Drew's opinion on the Miracle Grow or any potting mix/soil substrate.

On the topic of the lighting, I'd disagree with Drew. I have a 90g and i have a 1 bulb 4' long fixture and my plants performed horribly. In my experience the light does not penetrate the water column well even what it is mounted directly over the tank.

I lost pretty much all my plants over the years before I started to do alot of research and became a member of this community. I've since then changed up quite a few things inclusive of my lighting. I've now added some extra CFLs in dome reflectors and I'm getting good reasonable growth.

I would recommend getting the two bulb fixture which would also allow you to mix bulb spectrums for whatever you desired look is. i.e. 2 6500k bulbs or 1 6500k and 1 plant grow bulb (usually pink/red).
gt turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #19
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks gt Turbo and Boxxerboydrew! I am still pretty confused on the lighting sitiuation...it's a deep tank and I've got to get that light intensity all the way to the substrate...I am thinking seriously on the 2 bulb set up and now will look into the 6500K and other spectrums with a list of plants in mind. I welcome very much your suggestions!!!!

In the meantime I've had a driftwood setback...a family member has objected to my using the driftwood as it has family sentimental value---my parents collected it in Maine on their Honeymoon in the late 1950s...so I guess it will be destined for display as a tabletop item...

I found this neat link on composition in a thread (suggested by Kathyy) over on this Planted Tank's Aquascaping forum so I will study this to give myself some fresh ideas...especially on simplicity as I am limited at this time to plants that I can grow in a low to medium light setting...and I really like the variety of anubias that are available...and I have a lot of rocks that are readilly available...

ttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180044

As Henry David Thoreau said , "Simplify! Simplify!" I have too much enthusiasm...I must remind myself to simplify my idea..some rocks and a couple of plant species...and keep practicing my aquascaping attempts on my 20H setup...this aquascaping and plant husbandry ain't easy LOL!