I plan on making a mineralized substrate for my tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #16
mooncon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I didn't use dolomite,as for the clay I put it in water for 3 or 4 days before I was ready then when I wet down the soil I just added the clay.By the time I used it,it was pretty much mush mixed real easy with the green sand and soil.My tank was cycled as it has been up for a few years so I drained all the water took out the substrait and changed to the mts and sand cap which was the existing black diamond blasting sand.I didn't wash any of the existing substrait.Then I put in the plants and I was good to go.I didn't wash any of my filters either so all I had to do was plug everything in add my fish and I guess all was good because I had no spikes of any kind.By the way its a 150 gallon with angels and discus.The tank is low to medium light that will grow just about anything I throw at it.
mooncon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #17
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default I plan on making a mineralized substrate for my tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncon View Post
I didn't use dolomite,as for the clay I put it in water for 3 or 4 days before I was ready then when I wet down the soil I just added the clay.By the time I used it,it was pretty much mush mixed real easy with the green sand and soil.My tank was cycled as it has been up for a few years so I drained all the water took out the substrait and changed to the mts and sand cap which was the existing black diamond blasting sand.I didn't wash any of the existing substrait.Then I put in the plants and I was good to go.I didn't wash any of my filters either so all I had to do was plug everything in add my fish and I guess all was good because I had no spikes of any kind.By the way its a 150 gallon with angels and discus.The tank is low to medium light that will grow just about anything I throw at it.
Thats good to hear that pretty much everything grows. Do you use CO2?

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #18
mooncon
Algae Grower

Yes I do run CO2 but just recently started,It does help but I was growing a lot of plants without it.
mooncon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #19
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncon View Post
Yes I do run CO2 but just recently started,It does help but I was growing a lot of plants without it.
Ok good. Gives me some confidence. Not running CO2, and I just added micro swords, we'll see how that works out.

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #20
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have the potash, but I am a bit confused as to what type of clay to use...what do you all think? This is what I found at michaels

Oven bake clay
Polymer clay
Terra cotta clay
Red artist modeling clay

These were all the types. I was thinking terra cotta but not sure. I understand the redness comes from the iron, but I am not sure what type.

Fish
Plants
Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
marcnc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbos View Post
I have the potash, but I am a bit confused as to what type of clay to use...what do you all think? This is what I found at michaels

Oven bake clay
Polymer clay
Terra cotta clay
Red artist modeling clay

These were all the types. I was thinking terra cotta but not sure. I understand the redness comes from the iron, but I am not sure what type.
You want clay in powder form. Otherwise it real pain.

I just ordered some from Bailey Pottery Equipment Corp. This is what you want.

Item #C-020-012 Clay - Cedar Heights Redart, mine supposed to arrive on Tuesday.

I think it was about .75 cents a pound. Shipping wost the most expensive.

Also found Estes Dolomite on Amazon cheap for around 12 bucks, but I refuse to pay 33 dollars in shipping. Still on the hunt.
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is what I found at michaels

Fish
Plants
Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
marcnc
Planted Member

I am not sure about those. I think I might just quit with the MTS, after I spent days getting it all sifted, I realized I used wrong type of soil. I am not up for doing it again, so now I think I am just going to use the miracle gro organic choice potting mix.

Kinda fed up with it at this point.
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #24
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
I am not sure about those. I think I might just quit with the MTS, after I spent days getting it all sifted, I realized I used wrong type of soil. I am not up for doing it again, so now I think I am just going to use the miracle gro organic choice potting mix.

Kinda fed up with it at this point.
Thats exactly how I feel and i haven't even started! It has just been a pain finding all the items to use. You might as well buy eco complete, fluorite, or floramax. Whats the deal with miracle grow organic choice? I have hear many people use this.

Fish
Plants