buffering sub with ro?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

buffering sub with ro?

do you need a buffering substrate if you use ro water? im wanting to start getting higher grade shrimp like TB's and since its tax time figure i might get the stuff now and once moved have it ready. also what would u recommend for remineralizing? not sure what the water will be like where im going cause not sure where we will be moving when hubby gets out of the army by the end of the year.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

The Salty Bee gH+ mineral stuff is great, or Speedy recommends African Cichlid stuff, Mosura ultraplus, there are tonnes of them and everyone will says there choice works for them.

Buffering substrate is still the best it seems for CRS/TB's, and the easiest way to get a low pH.

I'm trying my experiment right now with no active substrate, and just RO water mineralized to the proper gH/TDS, etc, but I don't recommend everyone run out and take $500 worth of crystals and throw them in a tank with no active substrate and a pH of 7. That's my own testing, but certainly not something I'd say, go ahead, do it. lol. Maybe in a year, I'll find it works good and the shrimp have adapted to the water and I have hundreds , or I'll have dismal baby results and go back to active substrate, I don't know. So far, so good, I can see babies around the tank, everyone is berried, active, no deaths, but time will tell in a year when I see how many shrimp I have and before I call it a success.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

i did ok with sand sub and crs but since i want to one day keep tb's i figure it would be better and i know just about every one uses some kind of buffering sub and ro. i just didnt know i you needed a buffering sub if you are using remineralized ro water
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Since you've had a lot of issues with bacterial infections in the past and will be new to higher grade shrimp, definitely go with a well-rounded buffering substrate like Aquasoil. It'll also be great for your plants.

Shirakura Ca+, Mosura Mineral Plus Ultra and Salty Shrimp GH+ are my favorites for remineralization. They're all really clean and will last you quite a while. If you get the 1,000gram container of Salty Shrimp, it'll last you a really long time.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 AM   #5
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

the only bacterial infection i had was oebt but then i figured out it was do to heat as well ive not had a prob in about a year