Canister Filters
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
Blackheart
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Canister Filters

So I've never really had one of these before.... But I'm honestly really curious as to how they work...? How do they filter the tank exactly?
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

They draw water up the intake pipe into the canister which usually contain different chambers for media / chemical/ biological filtration. They are the best filters I have experienced. As long as the flow is greater than rated for your tank they will help keep algae down & a healthy aquarium for fish & plants. They blow away HOB filters.
You have many options on how to run them regarding media & flow output / spray bars or directional subsurface discharge which is excellent for planted tanks. Meaning you have almost unlimited ways to deliver the flow back into the tank.
You can even run multi canisters which I believe in for superior filtration. Some people even run heaters & CO2 through them as well.
They are more expensive , but you get what you pay for.
They are even good on small tanks if you can find a micro canister such as the zoo meds for nanos.
Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
Blackheart
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Would they be ideal for a Shrimp only tank?
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
huhu89151734
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to huhu89151734

IMO they do not do good for a shrimp tank. The point of people use canister filter on planted tank is because the canister is sealed and the water does not exposed to the air to have oxygen exchange, this well trap the co2 you injected into the tank. For a shrimp tank, especially if you want to have a big community of shrimp, you want that kind of osygen exchange to maximize the most o2 in the tank for shrimp to breath. That is why most of people use sponge filter on their smaller tank. For a larger sized tank, I recommend use a over the tank filter or wet/dry.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhu89151734 View Post
IMO they do not do good for a shrimp tank. The point of people use canister filter on planted tank is because the canister is sealed and the water does not exposed to the air to have oxygen exchange, this well trap the co2 you injected into the tank. For a shrimp tank, especially if you want to have a big community of shrimp, you want that kind of osygen exchange to maximize the most o2 in the tank for shrimp to breath. That is why most of people use sponge filter on their smaller tank. For a larger sized tank, I recommend use a over the tank filter or wet/dry.
Canister filters are great for shrimp tanks because they can hold a lot more biological media than most other filters. Sponge filters are great for shrimp tanks because the sponge has a big area for the good bacteria to grow on and baby shrimp don't get sucked up through the sponge. For a canister to provide ample oxygen exchange, just adjust the outflow of the filter to cause a lot of surface aggitation.

This is how a canister filter works:

Last edited by aznartist34; 01-29-2013 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: added more info
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
teatimecrumpet
Algae Grower

I haven't had any issues with adult ghost shrimp and my canister filter (Aquatop cf500) with the intake uncovered. But have since covered the intake with some nylon over the intake no shrimplets yet and my ghosties were berried but a bunch have dropped them and I don't know if they got trapped on top of the nylon or not.

I think shrimp are fine with canister filters.

But if you are doing only shrimp and plants are a distant second then I think sponges are the way to go. Just because you want to rule out the chance of losing any shrimp or babies to the higher intake rate.

But if you are looking to have a tank with equal importance irt shrimp/plants/fish then you'd probably do ok with a canister.
teatimecrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
exv152
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not to mention, canisters are quieter, hidden from view, and can push hundreds of gallons of water through a large volume of media, better than any other filter with the exception of sumps and trickle filters. Also, the filter intake can be covered with a mess or spong to ensure no baby shrimp get caught up in the suction.
exv152 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

They are fine for shrimp but you would want to cover the intake with a sponge. Fluval makes some that fit smaller intakes, some just remove the intake strainer, the plastic piece at the bottom and put a big sponge on. A Zoo Med 501 filter works well for this. The point of the sponge is to keep the filter from sucking up the baby shrimp when they breed. You would do this with any other type of filter that has an exposed intake.

Many use sponge filters and UGF for shrimp as well, especially if their main goal is breeding shrimp, not just adding some to an existing tank. They may be better choices for you, depending on your goals.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.