Does my hardscape look natural?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Question

Does my hardscape look natural?

Hello, this is my first day on the forums and it's also my first post. I have joined this forum to obtain advice from experienced and non-experienced aquascapers.

So, this is my hardscape after spending about an hour figuring out what angle and position looks the best. My tank is a 20 gallon long that is dirted and covered with gravel. I plan to plant Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green, Dwarf Sagittaria, Rotala Indica, Flame Moss, and Marsilea Minuta. Do you guys think the hardscape should be rearranged or is it good as it is? Thanks and be completely honest please

Last edited by I3raven; 08-18-2013 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: No longer active scape
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Hishifishy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think the hardscape looks good. I think the size of the wood is good and the plants are going to look great together. Are you planning on covering the wood with flame moss?
Hishifishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hishifishy View Post
I think the hardscape looks good. I think the size of the wood is good and the plants are going to look great together. Are you planning on covering the wood with flame moss?
Thanks for the feedback, yes, I am going to cover the unnatural cuts with flame moss. I'm probably going to plant densely.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Does my hardscape look natural?

Nice plant selection. IMO the "point" of your wood is too centered. I find all the scapes I'm attracted to in rectangular tanks are off-center a bit. Maybe rotate it 180

I have pretty poor aquascaping skills though... :p
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
Nice plant selection. IMO the "point" of your wood is too centered. I find all the scapes I'm attracted to in rectangular tanks are off-center a bit. Maybe rotate it 180

I have pretty poor aquascaping skills though... :p
Yeah I was actually bothered by it and I had a feeling that it didn't look right. thanks for pointing that out.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Which Hardscape setup is better?

Which one do you think is more natural or flowing. Or you could just pick whatever you believe looks better. It would be nice if you stated why. Thanks!

Last edited by I3raven; 08-18-2013 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: No longer active scape
Old 01-31-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I am not sure you are framing the photos so we can tell if the wood is placed well. The most prominent part of the wood needs to be somewhere around 1/3-2/5 from one end or the other to be most comfortable for our eye. We need to see the whole length of the tank.

I like both scapes and I liked the first one too, just place them a bit off center and any would make up a nice picture for you. For a 20 long I might be leaning toward the one on the left as it implies movement with the long diagonal top edge which complements the long low tank shape. I would place the heaviest part of the largest bit of wood at the sweet spot first and see how that looks.

There are a lot of good threads here on developing your eye for satisfying scapes, here is one.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=180044
Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I am not sure you are framing the photos so we can tell if the wood is placed well. The most prominent part of the wood needs to be somewhere around 1/3-2/5 from one end or the other to be most comfortable for our eye. We need to see the whole length of the tank.

I like both scapes and I liked the first one too, just place them a bit off center and any would make up a nice picture for you. For a 20 long I might be leaning toward the one on the left as it implies movement with the long diagonal top edge which complements the long low tank shape. I would place the heaviest part of the largest bit of wood at the sweet spot first and see how that looks.

There are a lot of good threads here on developing your eye for satisfying scapes, here is one.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=180044
Really helpful feedback, if not the best. I will post a full photo of the tank and a close up image of the driftwood. Thanks for the link and I hope you will view the full size image after I post it in a few hours.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
Which one do you think is more natural or flowing. Or you could just pick whatever you believe looks better. It would be nice if you stated why. Thanks!
I like both of these. The first one gives the flowing look and perception, while the second one gives depth to the scape with the largest piece being the focal point and in the back. If I had to choose I would choose the second. But in all honesty, we need to see the entire tank as a whole. Snap a good pic of the entire tank, so we can see where the hardscape lies.

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbos View Post
I like both of these. The first one gives the flowing look and perception, while the second one gives depth to the scape with the largest piece being the focal point and in the back. If I had to choose I would choose the second. But in all honesty, we need to see the entire tank as a whole. Snap a good pic of the entire tank, so we can see where the hardscape lies.
I couldn't agree with you more, I think the 2nd one would be more intriguing to the eye. I hope you guys could wait for another update. Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
I couldn't agree with you more, I think the 2nd one would be more intriguing to the eye. I hope you guys could wait for another update. Thanks
Of course we will wait!

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Current Setup

This is my current setup

Last edited by I3raven; 08-18-2013 at 10:33 PM..