Is there a piece of IKEA Furniture to hold a tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinibottom View Post
Believe it or not I used this IKEA stand for a 25-gallon tank for 5-6 years with no problems....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70011793/
I'm using this stand with a 20 tall. Looks good. I got a couple of baskets that fit on the shelves so that I can hide stuff in them.

The only problem I have had is levelling the stand because of the wheels on only one side, it's also on carpet.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 AM   #17
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I was going to suggest looking at things like their kitchen carts, since they seem to be fairly sturdy, but bikinibottom beat me to it.

If side-side/shear(?) reinforcement is a concern, check the area with the modular wooden shelving, I think there was a reinforcing item that was a pair of metal rods, riveted in the center, with holes in each end. Just form into an X that fits the back/side/legs/whatever, and screw it in, should add some stability.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/67797300/

As most people said above, I'd be hesitant to use Ikea (or most other furniture) for an aquarium stand for anything much over 10 gallons or so...

Last edited by lochaber; 01-31-2013 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: adding link
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #18
CuriousAmerican
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post

As most people said above, I'd be hesitant to use Ikea (or most other furniture) for an aquarium stand for anything much over 10 gallons or so...
Okay, it not IKEA, what?

I want a piece of furniture to hold my aquarium, about 10 gallon. Not a piece of pressboard that you get at Petsmart.
CuriousAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAmerican View Post
Okay, it not IKEA, what?

I want a piece of furniture to hold my aquarium, about 10 gallon. Not a piece of pressboard that you get at Petsmart.
I was in both CostCo and HomeDepot yesterday. I saw several bathroom sink vanities that could be used for an Aquarium stand. You could replace the sink with a pc of hardwood plywood or depending on design and your taste just leave the sink in place. Home Depot has a discontinued mark down area in most stores.

Another place to look is a store chain "World Market" they have some nice real wood end tables, small book cases that could work.

The only thing new retail that is Cheap co$t will be Cheap built.

If you are willing to refinish or paint try Goodwill shops or garage sales.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
houseofcards
Suspended

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I was in both CostCo and HomeDepot yesterday. I saw several bathroom sink vanities that could be used for an Aquarium stand. You could replace the sink with a pc of hardwood plywood or depending on design and your taste just leave the sink in place. Home Depot has a discontinued mark down area in most stores.
That's a really good idea. The height is good also on bathroom vanities and many are sold without sink.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Goodwill, Salvation Army, and such are all excellent places to look. Look around, and see if you have a Re-Use center nearby. There's one in my town that does more with large furniture/cabinets/bookcases/desks and reclaimed lumber than the usual clothing and knick-knacks you get in a lot of thrift stores.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
That's a really good idea. The height is good also on bathroom vanities and many are sold without sink.
They usually have great drawer & door assemblies. While many will have particle board sides. That could be reenforced rather easily. Common lengths are 30-36". I saw one in Costco that was dark stained Cherry? with a light grey granite sink. It would be perfect for a 18x18 cube maybe even 24x24 cube. The nice thing out doesn't scream PetSmart Asile #5.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
houseofcards
Suspended

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
They usually have great drawer & door assemblies. While many will have particle board sides. That could be reenforced rather easily. Common lengths are 30-36". I saw one in Costco that was dark stained Cherry? with a light grey granite sink. It would be perfect for a 18x18 cube maybe even 24x24 cube. The nice thing out doesn't scream PetSmart Asile #5.
It's funny I'm actually looking at custom stands for either a 4 or 5 footer and I saw this, but I think it would have to be reinforced. I size would be perfect for a 48" setup.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_155860-66150...7C1&facetInfo=
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #24
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

I'm actually trying to find a stand for a 60p and have been considering Ikea stuff. The Besta series can be fitted with some feet and a nice door. I figured what would basically be a stand for a 20 gallon aquarium would be easy to find, but they are not. At least not with a cabinet big enough for all the equipment.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAmerican View Post
Okay, it not IKEA, what?

I think you could probably find something at IKEA that would work fine for a 10 gallon - I just wouldn't go there looking for something to put a 29 or 55 gallon on.

I'm also partial to DIY stands, partially because a few inexpensive 2x4s can support a ridiculous amount of weight if they are assembled properly. But, I understand that not everyone has the capability/tools/space to build their own stand, and even so, some people just don't want to, and that's fine.

Also like Silmarwen said, check places that carry inexpensive used furniture. Especially if you can find something that was once used in a college dorm, hotel, or some other institution, they tend to be built pretty sturdy.

Otherwise, just find something that seems pretty sturdy and about the right height, and make sure the vertical supports are either directly under where the tank frame will be, or are very close to it.

Also, if you do find something you really like, but doubt it's ability to support the weight, you may be able to add some reinforcement with 1x3s inside so that it's out of sight. You would just have to be very careful with the measurements and such.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #26
minicrazy592
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592

Malm dresser supporting my 12g and a Lack side table holding up the cube:

Lack coffee table at first, then Expedit 2x2 I modified for my 20g:

Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #27
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's a 20 long on the Expedit?? That's such a great fit! The Expedits are finished on both sides, aren't they? I'm suddenly considering one... How sturdy does it feel?

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
CuriousAmerican
Algae Grower

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nouvelle-N...Black/11064992

Maybe something like this from Walmart now that IKEA has not produced results

Nouvelle Nightstand with Drawer:
24.75"H x 21.25"W x 16"D
Drawer is 3.75" x 15.75" x 12.75"
Solid corner posts up to 2" thick that double as legs
Laminated wood composites
Made in the USA
Some assembly required

$55.00

But would it hold a 10 gallon tank, which with sand, and filter, and fish, and rocks would probably weigh 120 pounds.

Looks sturdy, but it is particle board, NOT solid.

Last edited by CuriousAmerican; 02-01-2013 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Get pic right
Old 02-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
CuriousAmerican
Algae Grower

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Office-Desk-Espresso/12016207

Model No.: 21363
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 31.0
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 23.2 x 35.4 x 28.3
Walmart No.: 007114196

Or this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Ebon...to-30/21125977

Accommodates up to a 32" flat panel TV
Open shelf for components
3 drawers for closed storage
Easy to assemble with household tools
Overall dimensions: 15.69"L x 27.63"W x 27.94"HModel# 5514026PCOM
Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
meowschwitz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)

I have this under my 11.4G:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00180553/

It's made of solid wood, too, instead of particle board.
meowschwitz is offline   Reply With Quote