Newman's Shrimp Bowl - Page 43
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #631
Zeeke

PTrader: (0/0%)

That tank is beautiful and the pictures of the snails are cool too. I just have a quick question. I tried surfing through the pages to find the answer. I was looking at using that same light from IKEA for a 1 gallon, heavily planted, shrimp bowl. Was it enough on its own to support all your plants? I would be getting similar low light plants. I'm sort of new to the planted aquarium scene.
Zeeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #632
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

it is not enough to START the bowl. I used a 13W CFL bulb back when i started, and i used it for more than 1 year. that gave the plants plenty of light to grow in lush and a little too crazy. Then I swapped to a display light - the IKEA one. Comparatively it is very dim, but it's enough to keep plants alive. moss and other things grow slowly. Its a good light to set the pace for an already full planted bowl.

However if you only use moss, java fern and maybe some other very low light stuff, then this light is good enough. keep in mind its only 1W of LED, so that equals very roughly only slightly more than 1 wpg of standard lighting (LEDs output slightly more light than equivalent wattage florescent) It goes even less if you have floaters (which you should have) and tall plants blocking the light to plants below them.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #633
Zeeke

Thanks that was very helpful. I'm really excited to give the shrimp bowl a shot. That makes sense. Ill start out with a good grow light. Then someday if all goes well I'll switch to something less powerful. I have to order some plants and the shrimp.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #634
Zeeke

I'm guessing you sell plants? haha. That would be great! My LFS (I'm learning lingo ) only sells a few, miscellaneous, mystery plants. Do people sell RCS on here too? I'm still trying to find my way around. I'm on a mission to make shrimp stew. I appreciate all the help.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #635
acejohn
Algae Grower

Are there any disadvantages with snails?
acejohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #636
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Yes those snails went fast. They are the most amazing FW snails imo. They went to a good home and all of them made shipping and are alive and well.

There arent too many disadvantages with normal snails. unless they overpopulate the tank and crash it. they can make the water smell bad with their waste if that happens.
Stay away from apple snails, columbian ramshorns, and sulawesi snails for planted bowls. those will eat some plants. and don't keep assassin snails in shrimp bowls, as sometimes they can kill shrimp.

Yes you can buy cheap cherry shrimp in the classified section of our forum here. plenty of invert sellers have them for cheap.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 AM   #637
tex627
Sponsor

PTrader: (21/92%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeke View Post
I'm guessing you sell plants? haha. That would be great! My LFS (I'm learning lingo ) only sells a few, miscellaneous, mystery plants. Do people sell RCS on here too? I'm still trying to find my way around. I'm on a mission to make shrimp stew. I appreciate all the help.
Yep on this forum, you can buy a lot of awesome stuff at hobbyist prices! This forum is pretty helpful!

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

tex627 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #638
roncruiser
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hi Newman,
My bowl is cycled. The bowl was born on 11/2012. Ammonia is zero and nitrates are zero. I'm just about ready to add some Cherry shrimp. How often do you change the water? My bowl is 2 gallons. Substrate is ADA Amazonia. I've been doing 50% water change every 7-10 days. Was wondering what your thoughts are on water changes for bowls. I'll continue to monitor water parameters after adding the shrimp.

Thanks,

Ron
roncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #639
Koi Kameon
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default horned nerites every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Yes those snails went fast. They are the most amazing FW snails imo. They went to a good home and all of them made shipping and are alive and well.

There arent too many disadvantages with normal snails. unless they overpopulate the tank and crash it. they can make the water smell bad with their waste if that happens.
Stay away from apple snails, columbian ramshorns, and sulawesi snails for planted bowls. those will eat some plants. and don't keep assassin snails in shrimp bowls, as sometimes they can kill shrimp.

Yes you can buy cheap cherry shrimp in the classified section of our forum here. plenty of invert sellers have them for cheap.
I had to put a plug in for horned nerites. My favorite are the bumblebee black/gold swirl ones. They stay around a half inch and their waste load is miniscule compared to the larger nerites. And, like the larger nerites, they don't breed successfully in fresh water so no worries about a snail explosion. Just my two admiring cents. Although my all-time fav snail is the lowly ramshorn snail, but it is such a crap shoot as to whether or not they will populate the heck out of the tank. I have had ones nearly an inch across never lay eggs and a tiny one laid 70 eggs, which all hatched and the mom/dad snail promplty died leaving me to raise them until they could be put back in the pond...
Koi Kameon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #640
tumbleweedz
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

It's been fun watching this bowl evolve, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #641
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Bowl is being taken down.
Shrimp are up for sale:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...026&highlight=
The plants will be given away in the RAOK section soon. (there is a good amount of moss in here and roughly 20 pygmy chain swords.)
Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #642
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Aw, sorry to hear that, Newman. It's been quite a ride. But I guess all good things must come to an end.
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #643
Kehy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Sorry to hear that. But this bowl has been a huge inspiration for me to make my own shrimp bowl, and I've really enjoyed watching both of ours grow
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #644
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

NOOO!!!! Say it isn't so. May we ask why?
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #645
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Plans changed. It's time somebody else enjoys the shrimp and plants from this bowl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.