Aquatek PB Regulator Review
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Aquatek PB Regulator Review

I bought this little kit:

Off of E-bay the other week for 80USD (140 msrp but we all know that's a general rip-off price). It came with 10ft of silicone hose, a plastic bubble counter and the paintball regulator, ready to be fitted onto a standard US paintball tank.

I bought this set up for my 5g fluval spec in my dorm room.

The regulator:
Very solid construction, smooth paintjob. Easy set up as well. You twist the regulator on and plug it in to a timer and you're ready. My particular reg came pre packed with 50psi working pressure. So that means it should work fine with atomic co2 products.

The needle valve: It's a full stainless steel body needle valve. I inspected the internals with a flashlight and it's brass on the inside meaning if you were to tighten it too much it'll break and be no good. So far adjustments have been pretty easy. Opening the valve is a little tough at times and you might end up opening it too much but I haven't had trouble getting it dialed in. The needlevalve is a standard compression fitting but I installed my own 1/4" steel checkvalve onto it so yes, you can use that JBJ style bubble counter with it.

The freebies: standard silicone tube (this stuff leaks co2 but it's trivial unless you have like 50 feet of it running across a room). Plastic bubble counter; trash with really spaced out threads that leaks gas. Get something better (or just not use a bubble counter since those are pretty useless unless you have an RG style reactor).

It's being used with a fluval ceramic diffuser since I hate glass diffusers (break all the time, can't stand wear and tear, obtrusively large)

Below: JBJ style bubble counter base w/ check valve installed. I don't use a BC because they always leak and when you can just see the fizz coming out of your diffuser there's no point. The "X Soap" thing is from me tripping soap water all over the junctions to test for leaks btw.

Preliminary feelings: It looks solid, feels solid and isn't really ugly and obtrusive. For small spaces like kitchen counters it's probably a good bet and a half way decent deal. It's still cheaper in the short run AND long run to use a pb adapter and a normal regulator but if you don't have this space it's not bad. I've used other regs (azoo, milwaukee) in the past and they've all more or less felt the same. I've only set up for a day so I'll update with how well it holds up bubble counter over time.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
liquidxshadowz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I just ordered one of these to. It looks decent for the price, and should fit in my small cabinet with a 20oz tank.

If you're not using a bubble counter, how are you determining how much co2 you are actually putting into the tank? I'm planning on using a JBJ style with mine.

Last edited by liquidxshadowz; 01-14-2013 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: typo
liquidxshadowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

I just watch to see how much gas comes out of the diffuser/ watch plants and fish for stress. Drop checkers and bubble counters have always been pretty moot. Bubble counters are good for setting baselines if you're first setting up though, otherwise not that useful.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Rev2eight
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Thanks for the informative review. I've been running one of these attached to a 20oz bottle for about a week and the bubble count appears to be holding steady.
Rev2eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Looks pretty cool. I was thinking about doing paintball co2 with a regular regulator and though I could then use it on a full size tank, it would be very bulky. This looks really nice and small, I appreciate the fact it's black as it's easy to find a black paintball tank. Mine would be exposed so that is an issue.

What is the total height with the regulator?
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
liquidxshadowz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

^good question. I was just assuming this would fit where I want to put it..haha
liquidxshadowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

The unit is about 4-5" long. I have a 24oz tank so my height is taller than what yours would be. But it is very slim so it could fit in between my desk and the wall.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You guys are lucky, back then there was no paintball regulator. You had that huge normal Aquatek regulator with an adapter that just looked plain silly.

I had to do it this way. It's an Aquatic Life with a paintball adapter. It looks a lot similar, the only difference is the solenoid is clear and level. You can guys should check out DICI's bubble counter. It's a JBL rip off that is smaller and better constructed. Mine surprisingly stood the test of time, it's the only thing they did right.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
The unit is about 4-5" long. I have a 24oz tank so my height is taller than what yours would be. But it is very slim so it could fit in between my desk and the wall.
I meant total height as I was going to use a 24 oz tank. I am sure I could figure it out by finding measurements online but I would love to know exactly because I have a really tight space I hope one of these may fit in. Sorry, hope that isn't too much to ask.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Jubs
Planted Member

I just got this regulator on Friday as well! So far so good, for the eBay price it is going to be tough to beat. Feels very solid, we'll see how long it lasts but I don't have too many concerns so far.
Eheim Pimp #232 Nikon Pimp #69
Jubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #11
Vandiggity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Agreed. For 80 dollars shipped with free tubing and bubble counter its hard to beat. Dug up my brothers old paintball cylinder(which just happened to have a full co2 charge), adjusted the needle valve and its done. HC is pearling like crazy. I really wanted my hagen co2 system to work, but it just didn't have enough umph. So far very happy customer!
Vandiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
You can guys should check out DICI's bubble counter. It's a JBL rip off that is smaller and better constructed. Mine surprisingly stood the test of time, it's the only thing they did right.
FHF: Where do you buy a DICI bubble counter separate from their regulator setups?

Thanks (I need a new one right now!)
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 AM   #13
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
FHF: Where do you buy a DICI bubble counter separate from their regulator setups?

Thanks (I need a new one right now!)
Like most things; eBay is the best place to find these kind of things.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 AM   #14
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Aiyup. Spent the better part of an hour looking, too....nice regulators. No BC sold separately...never fear though - I think I have something on the line!

Thanks
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote