fluval co2 mini system - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #16
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbelle View Post
The $159 is brand new, both.
That's the price on Amazon every day all day. $65 shipped for the tank, and $95 shipped for the regulator. So it's not a special price. Not bad, not good, just the price.

Will it work? Yes, absolutely. It might require a little more care and fiddling than a higher end setup, and it might not last as long, but it'll get the job done. If it worked flawlessly, everybody would have one.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #17
briansbelle
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Ant thoughts on a higher end setup that will not break the bank and not require so much fiddling? With work and kids I want a set it and forget it type setup, that only requires a few tweaks here and there, not all the time. And something as simple as a good paint ball setup would work also since my tank is only 11 gallons
briansbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #18
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

If you don't want to build your own, I'd probably do the GLA paintball V2. It's $10 more than the Milwaukee + 5 lb combo, and then you'd have to drop $15-20 on a paintball tank. Reviews always seem to be positive, and no end of tank dump.

Paintball tanks are 1/5 the size of a 5 lb tank and cost $3-5 to fill. The cheapest I can get a 5 lb filled/swapped for is $15, so the price difference isn't *that* much. You will fill 5x more often though, so you may eventually want a spare tank.

Mind you this is free advice, and I am far from any sort of expert, and have owned neither of these systems. I've read a lot about them, but that's it. I encourage you to do the same. In the end it was a toss up for me between buying the GLA kit or building my own. I opted to build my own (with the help of the knowledgeable people here!) and spent about $75 more in the end, but I've learned a ton and have medical/laboratory grade equipment.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
hsilive
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

you can get 25 refills for this system on amazon or e bay for 25 to 35 bux !
refills arent that expensive this way and i hear it disberses almost 100% in your water !
hsilive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilive View Post
you can get 25 refills for this system on amazon or e bay for 25 to 35 bux !
refills arent that expensive this way and i hear it disberses almost 100% in your water !
25 refills * 88 grams = 2200 grams = 4.85 pounds of gas.

Refill for 25 - 35 dollars? That's a bit on the expensive side (a regular 10 pound cylinder costs me $20 to refill).

Not to mention the hassle of having to swap out the mini cartridges on a regular basis.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
LopezTheHero
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've also found the Fluval 88 regulator is dangerous. Every morning I have to spend 20 minutes next to it dialing in 1bpm. You open it up, get it to what you think is 1bpm, and then in 30 seconds it will be blasting bubbles through your tank. It's absolutely terrible. I'm waiting for my only 88G tank to run empty and then I'm trashing the whole thing for a better system. It's honestly much too much work (and dangerous to the fish!). Every day 1bpm is a different notch on the regulator. There's no consistency. I am so upset with myself for picking one up for cheap. I would highly not recommend this.

I'm aware I might have a faulty regulator, but has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by LopezTheHero; 01-21-2013 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: mis-spellings
LopezTheHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #22
pglenn
Planted Member

these fluval 22g systems are good for short term, and/or small tanks, and/or low tech tanks that have limited plants or plants that dont require alot of CO2 like java ferns and crypto's. you can use standard 16g canisters as the threading is the same (and they are much cheaper). I have had 16g canister last 15+ fills of the passive diffusor included (1 to 1.5 weeks or so). one fill lasts 4-6 hours on my tank. the 16g canisters can be had on ebay for 30 for $30, so thats actually cheap at $1/week.

nobody would recomend these to be used with any other diffusor as the canister would empty way too fast and the "valve" is not reliable. also passive diffusion only keeps the CO2 balanced, or slightly over balanced therefore the non-recomends for high-tech plants. but they are cheap, cheaply maintained, and do the job they are actually designed for
pglenn is offline   Reply With Quote