Which should I get? Only found the following CO2 Regulators
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
sub-80
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Which should I get? Only found the following CO2 Regulators

Hello;

I am a novice at the CO2 system and I am trying to build a CO2 regulator the only store that I found that sold pressure regulators has 2 modes of Victor 2 stage regulators. There is a C and D mode which to my knowledge D mode is for Heavy duty and the one I should be getting for accuracy is a A or B mode as to get a more accurate PSI reading. Here are the possible available products:
Should I get one of these or should I buy a single stage regulator from GLA. GLa is planning to make UK compatible regulators but make take time I've already waited 3 weeks.

After recommending what do you recommend for a novice to get an expensive Pressure regulator like Victor, which itself costs $270, or should I get commercial brand regulator.
If so which do you recommend? I am looking for a pressure regulator with a solenoid valve, sold in Europe that delivers to UK.

Last edited by sub-80; 01-29-2013 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Edit
sub-80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I assume you have already taken a look at my guide to pressurized CO2.

Personally, the C would be fine. It has a working pressure from 4-80 PSI, and I think the low pressure gauge would most likely read from 0 to 150 (perhaps 200) PSI, meaning the gradations are still fine enough to allow for good control.

Dual stage regulators are nice, and offer some advantages over a single stage regulator. What you decide to get is up to you.

You may have more luck purchasing used Victor (or other industrial brand) regulators on eBay, and then removing the CGA320 nut and nipple and replacing with the European Standard. This will definitely cost less than the $270 it costs for a brand new regulator.

I am not sure what you mean by "other commercial brand" as Victor is just a particular brand (there are many others).

As for the solenoid valve, you can purchase these separately as well. Just make sure that the fittings that it uses matches the European Standard (BSPP, most likely).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
sub-80
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I assume you have already taken a look at my guide to pressurized CO2.
Yeah I did weeks ago. Completely forgot I read it and that I had a thread about building a CO2 Regulator.

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by "other commercial brand" as Victor is just a particular brand (there are many others).
I meant the cheaply priced regulators where you can get a dual guage regulator with solenoid value for $100-$170.

Quote:
As for the solenoid valve, you can purchase these separately as well. Just make sure that the fittings that it uses matches the European Standard (BSPP, most likely).
They use BS standard connections here. Can't find a solenoid valve here of metering needle here will probably order online. Any recommendations? Solenoid dependable one. Metering needle to improve the accuracy of the C mode.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-80 View Post
I meant the cheaply priced regulators where you can get a dual guage regulator with solenoid value for $100-$170.
I would avoid those "all in one" packages (usually made in China, etc...)

Some people have OK luck with them, others, not so much so.

Quote:
They use BS standard connections here. Can't find a solenoid valve here of metering needle here will probably order online. Any recommendations? Solenoid dependable one. Metering needle to improve the accuracy of the C mode.
There are some good solenoid valves and metering valves online, but they all use NPT standard.

You will need the needle/metering valve at the very least. A solenoid can be handy if you want the CO2 on a timer/pH controller.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

You can find a needle valve that uses the British connection, I think they have way better looking connections anyways. The common water cooling kits for PC have those BSP connections. There is an adapter but I'm sure they have needle valves in the connection you need.

You just have to google whatever connection your country uses. I mean, how can they not?

Oh and don't buy those Asian clones, unless your in asia and live close to their company for refunds and exchanges.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
sub-80
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
You can find a needle valve that uses the British connection, I think they have way better looking connections anyways. The common water cooling kits for PC have those BSP connections. There is an adapter but I'm sure they have needle valves in the connection you need.

You just have to google whatever connection your country uses. I mean, how can they not?

Oh and don't buy those Asian clones, unless your in asia and live close to their company for refunds and exchanges.
I have checked with three large hardware stores and two refrigeration and gas distribution companies none sell them. They might be sold here but I can't seem to find them and nor do the employees of those stores and company know of where I can get them.

I am planning of getting a Swagelok Series M with a Vernier handle.

But here is a question, what should I know about my pressure regulator and cylinder before choosing the metering valve. For example in one of the metering valves it says "Swagelok® Tube Fitting" and in another metering valve it says "Male NPT".
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Darkblade48

Quote:
But here is a question, what should I know about my pressure regulator and cylinder before choosing the metering valve. For example in one of the metering valves it says "Swagelok® Tube Fitting" and in another metering valve it says "Male NPT".
Since you are using the British standard, you obviously cannot use NPT (unless you plan to convert back and forth).

The Swagelok tube fittings are proprietary fittings, and you will just need to go to (airline) tubing. This could be a workaround if you cannot/do not want to use NPT parts.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Since you are using the British standard, you obviously cannot use NPT (unless you plan to convert back and forth).

The Swagelok tube fittings are proprietary fittings, and you will just need to go to (airline) tubing. This could be a workaround if you cannot/do not want to use NPT parts.
They're not proprietary - the copyright ran out years ago, and Swagelok has become the industry standard for double-ferrule compression fittings. But tube fittings do change things. Easiest to go with BSPT if you can find all the parts. Swagelok sells BSPT/NPT adapters as well.

If for some reason you do decide to play around with tube fittings, here's my work-in-progress master "Lok" list of companies that sell tube fittings functionally identical to Swagelok. The "SS" and "type/size" instances are references to stainless (and where it would appear in the model #), versus brass or other materials of construction. You can probably ignore that part. I can't promise it's 100% accurate, but these brands are definitely all clones of Swagelok tube fittings.

Swagelok (SS-)
A-Lok (Parker) (-SS)
Bi-Lok (SS-)
Tylok CBC-Lok (SS-)
Hylok (-S316)
Kor-lok (-SS)
D-lok ((type)(FSS)(size))
Dk-lok (-C)?
Let-lok (Ham-Let) ((type)(SS)(size))
Gyrolok (Hoke) (-316)
*interchangeable with, but not identical to, Swagelok
Duolok (SSP) ((ISS)(type))
Griplok (SSP) ((ISS)(type))
*identical to Hoke Gyrolok
Superlok (SHF) (all SS)
Yor-lok (STC) (all SS)
Truelok (all SS)
Valulok (all SS)
Hi-Seal (Imperial Eastman) (-SS)

Single Ferrule brands:
CPI (Parker)
CS-Lok (Tylok)
Unilok (SSP)

I *believe* the listed single ferrule styles are all functionally identical as well, but I have no first-hand experience with them. Swagelok doesn't do single ferrule.

Last edited by kevmo911; 01-30-2013 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: couple additions
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
sub-80
Planted Member

Had a talk with one of the employee of the store where am going to but my pressure regulator (Victor VTS-253C) and I asked about the connections if they are BSPP or BSPT and he replied it is NPT.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Well, then the question is will getting NPT fittings be doable? If so, you're set. Also, make sure you have the connect nipple/nut for your CO2 cylinder threads.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
sub-80
Planted Member

I think the inlet is .BS standard and outlet NPT. I just calculated if i were to build the pressure regulator with desired parts, it will cost $600 and the cheapest is $ 450. Similar to GLA ultimate pricing.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
Darkblade48

Quote:
I think the inlet is .BS standard and outlet NPT. I just calculated if i were to build the pressure regulator with desired parts, it will cost $600 and the cheapest is $ 450. Similar to GLA ultimate pricing.
Ouch, that is a little pricey...

Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #13
sub-80
Planted Member

Quote:
Ouch, that is a little pricey...
Yeah that's pricey. My motivation was kicked in the face. If only I can find a good brand solenoid valves and metering needle sold locally or any brand at that. I have to use a second shipping company to get online bought products.

Do you know what brand of solenoid valve GLA uses and what solenoid valve brand is of the same quality?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:52 AM   #14
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

I forget the part number, but gla is using a PeterPual solenoid now. If you google peterpual and check their website, you can find it there (i think they might call it "the little black box" or something like that...). I know that you can get burkerts over there. They are a little bit more though.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
sub-80
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
I forget the part number, but gla is using a PeterPual solenoid now. If you google peterpual and check their website, you can find it there (i think they might call it "the little black box" or something like that...). I know that you can get burkerts over there. They are a little bit more though.
That is great. Thank you for the info.

Tags
co2 regulator diy