Which Water to Use? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #16
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Thanks! Is there a preferred GH booster i should look for?
I use my own mix of calcium chloride, epsom salt and potassium sulfate. As far as a shelf bought one, you would have to look at what others are using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Would you only add GH Booster and stay with 0 KH?
I don't ever bother with my KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
Why spend money on a GH booster when you can just blend some softened and untreated water?

And by the way, I have really hard water as well but I don't use RO for my planted tank even though I have RO/DI for my reef. Been a while since I've tested for exact measurements but I could check it out and let you know. I think the TDS in my tank is around 650ppm.
I like knowing and having control over exactly what is in the water.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #17
Cthulhu
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm going in this direction too...
I already have a RO/DI unit, automated water changes / fertilizers / additives, and eventually I want to keep discus. So I will use RO water and keep a low PH and KH, and aim for 5 GH.

But I wonder abou 0 KH... Common saying is that some KH is necessary to keep pH stable. But I'm reading more and more about people who keep 0 KH and it works well.

So it's the only thinkg I'm not sure about. Should I add something to get my KH to 2? Or keep it at 0?

I'll probably try it with 0 KH, I think stability is the key there, and with everything automated it should be stable enough.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
But I wonder abou 0 KH... Common saying is that some KH is necessary to keep pH stable. But I'm reading more and more about people who keep 0 KH and it works well.

You need some sort of buffering agent in the water to maintain stability (at least in terms of pH). carbonates are a pretty common one, and tend to buffer towards a higher-pH, but there are substances that can act as buffers for a lower pH (it's been ages since I've had a chem class, so I can't remember any right now...). I'm not certain, but I'd be willing to bet peat, driftwood, and other stuff that adds tannins/humic acids can be a source of a non-carbonate buffering agent.

I agree with what funkman262 said, use the 5-stage RO/DI unit, and add straight tap water to get the gH and kH into a range you are comfortable with, and then add the micronutrients, etc. I'm pretty sure it will be a lot cheaper, less headache, and probably turn out just as well.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (424/100%)

If you want to have 0KH and shoot for 5GH? It may be easier for you to buy something like the Salty Shrimp remineralizer product many people use for shrimp. 1,000 grams will go a really long way.

ADA Amazonia would be a great substrate for buffering, depending upon the size of your tank and your budget. But there are several other products on the market.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
d2mini
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
ADA Amazonia would be a great substrate for buffering, depending upon the size of your tank and your budget.
This is exactly what I'm setting up the tank with. A 4g nano.

To me it just seems easier to use a single water source (ro/di) which I know will have the exact same parameters every time and then add the same amount of buffer or whatever every time, vs trying to mix water from two different sources and then adding more stuff to add or counteract.

Then again, I'm the newb here so what appears one way in my head, may end up being completely different in practice.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (424/100%)

Yep, you'll just measure how much it takes the first time you mix your water to your ideal parameters.

Then be sure you use RO/DI for top-offs, just like with reef tanks.

When doing water changes, you remineralize to match your tank parameters.

You may want to pick up a $10-$12 TDS meter on eBay so you can more easily keep an eye on hardness shifts. Many shrimp keepers use them to keep an eye on when water changes are needed.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #22
SouthernGorilla
Algae Grower

Our plants don't seem to have any trouble with the municipal water here in the Dallas area. And this water is hard enough that the shower feels like a hailstorm.* I don't see the need to filter out all the dissolved minerals just to spend money to replace them.

*slight exaggeration.
SouthernGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote